Author Topic: Briggs 31C707 build help  (Read 6276 times)

Offline cerialsledder

• View Profile
Briggs 31C707 build help
« on: August 19, 2017, 10:27:55 pm »
I'm new to briggs engines and am wondering if you guys could point me in the right direction for a 31C707 Engine I aquired.  I am currently running a Kohler CV490S and I am getting hammered coming out of the corners.  I have tried different gearing to no luck, I'm either wound out or am lugging pretty bad coming out of the corner.  Everyone seems to be running briggs except one guy running a kawasaki and I'm getting tired of not having enough motor.  I would build up the kohler better but it seems like the parts are more expensive than the briggs so I'm tired of being the oddball of the bunch and am ready to switch to briggs.   I want more punch coming out of the corners without sacrificing top end.  I am open to anything guys.  Thank you again!

Offline crazycraftsman

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • owen
Re: Briggs 31C707 build help
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 10:03:42 pm »
What's your budget? What's your class rules on the engine?
owen
Lawnmower Racing in B.C   Canada
WMWS points cup winner BP 2016
Wmws points cup winner CP 2017
Wmws points cup winner CP 2018

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 09:41:40 am »
When you run the same stuff as everyone else, you will run just like everyone else, unless driver and chassis are that much different..
But, then again, I always was a bit different.
If you are not limited to stock engines, I would stick with the Kohler and begin to modify it.

Otherwise, if you insist on the Briggs, Billet wheel. Port the head, mill .100" off it. Good carb. Isky #95 cam (if you manage to get in contact with him, or can find one).

If you want to come off the corner, go Tecumseh....but, not much availability and have to be creative.
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline cerialsledder

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 11:25:40 am »
What's your budget? What's your class rules on the engine?

I would like to be around $800 if that is possible?  We usually just have a run what you brung style of race.  Rules are as follows, Chassis has to be a chassis that carried a blade deck at one time or another, no cart tires, no bigger than a 20hp single motor or bigger than a 16hp vtwin.  There are guys running shaved heads, different rods, cams and flywheels.  If I had to give it a class it would be like a beer league thing.  People invite us to their events for entertainment and in turn we get to have fun racing each other as well.  We have about 23 guys that are racing right now and all the tracks differ.

Offline cerialsledder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 11:29:14 am »
When you run the same stuff as everyone else, you will run just like everyone else, unless driver and chassis are that much different..
If you are not limited to stock engines, I would stick with the Kohler and begin to modify it.

Otherwise, if you insist on the Briggs, Billet wheel. Port the head, mill .100" off it. Good carb. Isky #95 cam (if you manage to get in contact with him, or can find one).

If you want to come off the corner, go Tecumseh....but, not much availability and have to be creative.

I wouldn't mind sticking with my Kohler as it has been a great engine.  I just figured since I was given two briggs motors I could get a little crazier with building it.  I will definetly ask in the Kohler section what can be done with it.  I appreciate the reply.

Offline cerialsledder

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 12:22:35 pm »

Guess I may just have to run like everyone else.  I called midwest super cub and they no longer offer racing flywheels and I tried zach kerber and I got no answer.  This Kohler seems like a big deal though in the pulling department so maybe I will sell it and use the money to build the briggs? 

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2017, 12:46:20 pm »
Did you leave a message with Kerber?   He is busy running the CNC most of the day.   If you leave a message he will get back to you.  Email is the best way to contact him on stuff like this. 

I will see him today or tomorrow.   I will as if he has single parts. 

Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline nic_hayes

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • Let's Go Racing!
    • View Profile
    • Hayes Mowersports
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2017, 02:24:18 pm »
Will be hard to find any Kohler or Tecumseh parts but they are out there. They will cost quite a bit more than a Briggs.
Nic Hayes - #427 - CP/Mod-X - Small Engine Performace
15 Time Indoor Winter Nationals Champion
2006 Kansas Outlaws Modified Class Champion
http://hayesmowersports.synthasite.com/

Offline cerialsledder

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2017, 02:51:30 pm »
Did you leave a message with Kerber?   He is busy running the CNC most of the day.   If you leave a message he will get back to you.  Email is the best way to contact him on stuff like this. 

I will see him today or tomorrow.   I will as if he has single parts.

That would be greatly appreciated!!!  Please let me know

Offline Mower Maniac

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 05:38:19 pm »
Isky #95 cam (if you manage to get in contact with him, or can find one).
Redline. Do you have the spec sheet for this cam? I want to get the specs and get somebody to grind my cam to the specs since I cant get ahold of isky
AZLMRA
2016-GPK 3rd place
2017-GPK 2nd place

Offline Mower Maniac

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2017, 11:14:44 am »
Also, cerial sledder mwsc should have flywheels. They should use stock magnet for 100 bucks. Somebody I know just bought one. Also copper gaskets unlimited can make a custom copper head gasket for you for a really good price to gain a little bit of compression, and precision cams can do a regrind for a kohler single. You will have to run the stock rod but it should take about 5500 rpms. Billet rod will probably cost quite a bit unless you can find somebody that makes custom rods for race engines.
AZLMRA
2016-GPK 3rd place
2017-GPK 2nd place

Offline cerialsledder

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2017, 07:23:49 am »
Also, cerial sledder mwsc should have flywheels. They should use stock magnet for 100 bucks. Somebody I know just bought one. Also copper gaskets unlimited can make a custom copper head gasket for you for a really good price to gain a little bit of compression, and precision cams can do a regrind for a kohler single. You will have to run the stock rod but it should take about 5500 rpms. Billet rod will probably cost quite a bit unless you can find somebody that makes custom rods for race engines.

Checked with MWSC and they quit doing the racing end of things, bummer.

Offline Mower Maniac

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2017, 09:10:33 am »
Unless somebody bout the last 50 flywheel they should have some. Try them and ask if they still have all of their old command single flywheel.
AZLMRA
2016-GPK 3rd place
2017-GPK 2nd place