Author Topic: 18hp oppy vertical to horizontal  (Read 3387 times)

Offline newtoy

• View Profile
18hp oppy vertical to horizontal
« on: July 07, 2017, 11:40:59 pm »
Hi all, new to the forum.

I have got myself eyeballs deep in a gokart project where I was going to use a vertical shaft oppy I have here coupled to a peerless 600style transmission. Its a side by side plus I want it to tow a small trailer regularly and because of this I have decided to a heavier transmission option and requires a horizontal shaft.

I have read it possible to convert the poppy but I am running into a serious lack of parts availability to do it. Would it work if I purchased oil dippers for the rods, remove current oil spinner and custom make a sump/lower engine plate in place of the verticals flat cover plate.

thanks for any input

Offline flatlanderfornow

• View Profile
Re: 18hp oppy vertical to horizontal
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2017, 08:41:27 pm »
parts you need can be found on ebay, saw some tonight. type in  briggs twin sump.
You'll need one dipper for the mag side rod, and you'll have to drill some drain holes in where the valve springs are.  Also need the intake manifold and pto ball bearing. Should be about it.
Todd Potter
603-922-5269

Offline newtoy

• View Profile
Re: 18hp oppy vertical to horizontal
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2017, 07:38:55 pm »
 Thanks heaps for the information . I'm in Australia  and parts for an oppy here are as rare as rocking  horse poop. But as it turns out a fella there from Ohio I think is hooking me up with some parts.
 Thanks for the tip on the valve recesses and pto bearing.