Author Topic: Supermod Steering Tie Rod  (Read 3803 times)

Offline Negrey

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Supermod Steering Tie Rod
« on: June 06, 2017, 02:54:51 pm »
I understand to achieve proper ackerman you must have both your tie rods on the same pivot point and on a downhill angle to your steering arm tabs. From most of the pictures I see on the forum it looks like the tabs are an S shape or maybe offset is a better description, towards the middle of the machine by about the width of the steering arm tab (looks like 1” ?) I know with rear steer tabs are supposed to follow a line from kingpin to center of rear axle, and if two tie rod style the tie rod ends will be mounted beside each other on the center pivot. With front steer they need to be outside your kingpins and adjustable ackerman in only one direction by mounting your tie rod in a different hole on your steering arm. On a mower with Supermod style front steer is steering arm tab placement off the steering knuckles crucial? Or is the single pivot with downward angle all that matters to achieve ackerman? I feel like I've read almost every post there is but there is always so much other information and learning to be done on this forum! ;)

Thanks!

Then the old geometry classes kicked in and nailed it the first time. Steering from the front.

Pivot point.

Full left turn.

And full right turn.
\

Well Me and Jake did a bit more. I been building in my head the whole time its been sitting and I ain't been doing nothing. So this didn't take very long at all to do. I already did it several times in my head. Anyhow the steering is done 1/4 turn full lock both ways and very smooth and easy to turn. Below are some pictures of the steering.

Evan

anything