Author Topic: Questions about Briggs V twin  (Read 4140 times)

Offline bigredford

• View Profile
Questions about Briggs V twin
« on: June 01, 2017, 09:19:09 am »
Hey guys new to the forum! I have a Generac NP-52g gas powered generator out of an old RV and I'm almost certain its got a Briggs V twin on it. Its kind of an unusual setup the engine isn't directly attached to the generator itself. It sits upright like on a lawn tractor and has a belt that runs the generator. I plan on putting it on a Vintage White Yard boss I got laying around as a fun toy to play with.

The problem I have is that I have no idea what series this v twin is. Generac used there own blower housing on it and the only thing that makes me think its a Briggs is the valve covers. There cast aluminum are the dual center bolt type. I downloaded the manual for this generator and it has a full engine parts list. And it definately looks like the briggs from the gaskets they show in the exploded view of the engine but generac never actually says its a Briggs. I am planning on pulling the engine off today, do these engines have any identification on the block or are they like the old engines and only have em on the blower housing? I seem to have found two different Briggs v twin engines...one with four bolt valve covers and one with the two bolt. Whats the difference between these engines?

I've had the gen set a while and we had a flood a while back and its of full water/sand. It still spins over fine but I'm gona go through it to make shure its got no sand in it I will take pictures of it to help ID. I did have it running before the flood and it ran perfect. Also this is a Vertical Shaft engine. I do have a horizontal shaft engine but its an opposed twin flathead that I plan on putting on a go-kart for kicks.

Offline bigredford

• View Profile
Re: Questions about Briggs V twin
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2017, 11:19:22 am »
Well I got the engine pulled and managed to find a serial number 303775 0119-01 is there any place where I can find out the specs on this particular engine? Thanks in advance!

Offline EUBANK RACING

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2017, 05:45:15 pm »
that does come up as a briggs model number on repair clinic anyhow
\"Micah\"

Offline bigredford

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2017, 08:12:26 pm »
Yea I am pretty sure its a Vanguard engine and not the Intek. From what I have seen all the Intek engines have the 4 bolt valve covers and the Vanguards all have the 2 bolt unless its the new Big Block. Although I have no clue what the HP rating is as Generac used  there own blower housings and Tins. Which is huge and boxy makes the engine look twice the size it actually is. It also has an unusual Crankshaft in it for the belt drive for the generator section its super short and tapered sharply. And it mounts a cast iron flywheel minus the magnets and with a 4 groove belt pully cast into it the generator had a similar unit on it as well although smaller and lighter. I could use this and a drive belt but I'm not sure what revving the thing with that heavy flywheel would do. Can anyone give me info on the Cranks for these engines? Did they use different ones or would any Vanguard Crank work?

Offline EUBANK RACING

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2017, 09:17:02 am »
sounds like the easiest most effective thing to do would get an engine that you know something about, that's probably not what you want to hear, but  would save a lot of headaches
\"Micah\"

Offline bigredford

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2017, 11:06:14 pm »
Well I'm new to the small engine world so I always like to learn new stuff. Mostly built engines for Cars/trucks. Fords, chevys, dodges...as a few japanese cars including that crazy one that runs off of triangles but we won't go into that

I have the vanguard engine because it was free. and I actually plan to either make me a go-kart or modify one of the many riding lawn mowers to put it on to have fun. And I like to build stuff so there are no headaches, only issues to work out.

Offline Jim Knutson

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • i didnt break it......i modified it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 08:58:25 pm »
japanese cars including that crazy one that runs off of triangles
did somebody say rotary?...lol
If you quit when you're behind, you will never win.

Offline flatlanderfornow

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 04:42:34 pm »
303775 should be a 16 hp. Lots you can do with that if you want.
Todd Potter
603-922-5269

Offline bigredford

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 09:46:46 am »
Yep just waiting to buy a crank, tins and carb  right now. I don't think there is anything I can do with the crank thats in it the PTO side is just a 2" long taper straight off the bottom of the case  no keyway or anything. And its setup to run off propane only. Its got a custom made blower housing from Generac and its pretty ugly...