Author Topic: 18hp Oppy running Alky (engine, intake and ignition)  (Read 10090 times)

Offline Ace726

• View Profile
Re: 18hp Oppy running Alky (engine, intake and ignition)
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 07:08:03 pm »
So I've got almost everything I need to put it all together and fire it up, gotta finish match porting, a little hone, and carb work this weekend. Got lots of boxes of new parts, all except springs (will be here Monday) and flywheel with hub (for delivery next week sometime). Pictures to come this weekend.
The Green Overtaker

Run It Till It Blows Up, Then You Know How Much It Can Handle..... Unless It's a Flywheel.

Offline Ace726

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2017, 08:17:39 pm »
Sorry for the lack of pictures, but I need some insight here. My valve lash with the isky cam installed is WAY over spec.... Isky calls for .005 hot or cold on the intake and exhaust. My valves are measuring 13, 16, 20, and 21 thousandths. Stock cam valve lash is out of spec too... Calls for 3-5 thou on the intake and 7-9 on the exhaust. My STOCK valves measure 8 on both intake and 9 and 16 on both exhaust. Somebody have stock valve height and stock tappet height???? Don't want any catastrophic failure as I have over $1400 in this engine.
The Green Overtaker

Run It Till It Blows Up, Then You Know How Much It Can Handle..... Unless It's a Flywheel.

Offline PJG56

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2017, 06:30:38 am »
You will have to weld the end of the lifters up,or buy new valves and hope they are long enough.
Paul Guptill  (oppy) #238modX
2012 slmra mowstock champion(builder/owner)

2013 slmra mowdified champion(builder/owner)
2013 ARMA national champion Mod-X(builder/owner)
2014 ARMA national champion Mod-X(builder/owner)
2014 All American Champion Mod-X/CP(builder/owner)
2014All American Champion FXT (engine builder)
2014 All American 2nd place SP(builder/owner)
2015 All American 2nd place BP (builder/owner)
2016 OutlawTriple Crown FXT Champion (engine builder)

Offline Honey Badger

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2017, 08:30:52 pm »
Id like to see this thing in Action. I remember there was an oppy in an FXS out in Iowa a few years back. It looked pretty cool.  If i had time, I would love to try and figure out something like that in an FXS. 
Alex Stella
CP Indian powered #53
98 MTD Box Chassis live axle 700
2011 rookie of the year MILMRA   2012 most improved driver MILMRA   2nd in points national CP
It\'s not considered hoarding lawn tractors until more than one neighbor complains!

Offline FlatheadPuller

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2017, 11:52:02 am »
Haven't been on heymow in a long time, that said. Ignition for this doesn't cost a grand. Your looking in the wrong place. Look thru my old build and pictures if there still on here. 2 wire mag pickup, Chrysler ignition module and a gm 3.8 2 post coil will fire anything you feed it. As far as methanol your wasting your time. The ports suck in this engine. I know I've built several. Don't kill it with a ton of compression. Moderate lift with alot of duration will get you what you want. They aren't a big rpm engine.
Dennis Bazzett
Grandville Michigan

anything