Author Topic: New person w/?  (Read 2105 times)

Offline gwjvw

• View Profile
New person w/?
« on: December 15, 2016, 08:45:22 pm »
Hello all, I want a racing mower, my friend has a craftsman yt3000 2011 (brand new) is this a mower I can build off of? Or should I be looking for something that's not an automatic? thx Sorry I think I put this in the wrong spot of the forum!

Offline Kokamo

• View Profile
Re: New person w/?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 09:36:28 am »
It most def has potential to build as a racer. The auto, or otherwise known as a hydrostatic trans in that machine wouldn't be something you'd use anyway. You need a kart axle or some sort of geared transaxle (not hydrostatic). If you do an axle with a sprocket on it, you'll need a transmission. Lots of people use the Peerless 700 transmission. Of course, theres lots of work to be done to retrofit a live axle and a Peerless trans into a machine that was originally equipped with a hydro axle. Check out some of the builds in the project section here and you can get some ideas. I built a racer out of a brand new Cub Cadet (in the build project section) and it was a hydro axle and I used a kart axle and Peerless 700. Check it out, maybe you can get some ideas. Please don't forget about safety! These machines were designed for 5mph....not 50.

~Joe
"Mow" Joe Hopkins
Liberty Hill, Tx

anything