Author Topic: Will this mower work for a racing mower?  (Read 3677 times)

Offline Mowerman2000

• View Profile
Will this mower work for a racing mower?
« on: November 18, 2016, 11:38:27 pm »
Hi all,

I just got given this mower for free today. The engine (13 hp) runs really well. My plans are to lower it and do a pulley swap on it and modify the exhaust and intake. What kind of transmission/drive is it? it's not hydro static right? what is it called and is it possible to do a pulley swap to get it running faster? The lever underneath the steering wheels is for the gears i assume? I'm not familiar with this type of mower as the only one i have driven had a gear change lever on the right mud guard and about 1-5 speeds if i remember correctly, it was a Sabre mower by John Deer.
The internet is bad atm and i cant get any photos uploaded. but on the left hand mudguard there is a lever that can either go two ways, F or R which i assume is for forwards or reverse. There is a foot clutch on the left hand floorboard as well. Then on the right hand mudguard there is some positions for the lever to go into which is just for the cutting blade heights and engage or dis engage etc. Then underneath the steering wheel on that centre console by the throttle there is a lever with a rabbit at the top and turtle at the bottom and is numbered from P then 1-7. What kind of drive/transmission system/setup is this? And will it be alright for a pulley swap?

Thanks

Offline Mickey mower makin

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Will this mower work for a racing mower?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 02:05:46 am »
I'm pretty sure ur describing a hydrostatic.u can do a pulley swap but u might wanna look into another transaxle cus hydro sucks

Offline Mower Militia

• "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery"
    • View Profile
Re: Will this mower work for a racing mower?
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 01:22:09 am »
What your describing sounds like an mtd type vari drive. They have 5/8" axles, weak,and are mostly junk. But those mowers are good to do a go kart rear axle and 700 transmission.