Author Topic: 38 vangaurd stock bore size?  (Read 3140 times)

Offline crazycraftsman

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • owen
38 vangaurd stock bore size?
« on: September 06, 2016, 01:26:32 pm »
Got some used blocks and trying to find out if they have been already bored over . What's the safe over size to go? Any help would be appreciated.
owen
Lawnmower Racing in B.C   Canada
WMWS points cup winner BP 2016
Wmws points cup winner CP 2017
Wmws points cup winner CP 2018

Offline Cromwell C4

• Turf Warrior
  • Jesus is our savior!
    • View Profile
Re: 38 vangaurd stock bore size?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 02:14:00 pm »
The stock 38ci bore size is 2.972" and i take them up to 3.032" with the stock sleeves. You can go up to 3.150" if you want to bore and re-sleeve the block.
Tyler Cromwell - Cromwell Racing Engines - Specializing in Briggs Vanguard and Kohler Command V-twin engines, and Honda/Clone singles from mild to wild! Built to win, Engineered to last.

-Cromwell Racing engines and parts are home to numerous national championship titles and fastest qualifying times.

-Love God, Love Others -

Offline crazycraftsman

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • owen
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 03:29:35 pm »
Thanks Tyler. Is there a 3.032 piston that fits the arc long rod with the 35/38 or 30 crank?
owen

Offline crazycraftsman

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • owen
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2016, 10:49:10 am »
One block has 38 stamped on top and other doesn't . The 38 block has 1.380 top bearing and the other block has 1.150 top journal bearing, aren't all the 30/35/38 crank journals the same on verticals?
owen

Offline Cromwell C4

• Turf Warrior
  • Jesus is our savior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2016, 10:54:49 am »
I had custom JE forged flat top racing pistons with pro seal rings made in different bore sizes, and I had ARC custom make me some long rods to match the pistons with the .669" wrist pin. If you want more info or pricing, give me a call.
Tyler Cromwell - Cromwell Racing Engines - Specializing in Briggs Vanguard and Kohler Command V-twin engines, and Honda/Clone singles from mild to wild! Built to win, Engineered to last.

-Cromwell Racing engines and parts are home to numerous national championship titles and fastest qualifying times.

-Love God, Love Others -

Offline Cromwell C4

• Turf Warrior
  • Jesus is our savior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2016, 11:01:01 am »
One block has 38 stamped on top and other doesn't . The 38 block has 1.380 top bearing and the other block has 1.150 top journal bearing, aren't all the 30/35/38 crank journals the same on verticals?

All the engines with date code 1996 and earlier have the smaller crank journal on the flywheel side. They changed to the larger journal cranks with the bearing in the date code 1997 engines and later. They only made 30 and 35ci engines with the small journal that i am aware of. I've never came across a factory 38ci with the small journal. Also, if it has the center breather cover that bolts into the block between the cylinders, its a 35ci or under. The 38ci engines did not have it.

-Love God, Love Others -

Offline crazycraftsman

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • owen
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 03:03:39 pm »
Thanks for the info. So the 38 only vented from the valve cover. Guess I got a bored 35 to 3.970 and a stock bore 38 no cover large journal. Guess I learned a lesson and lost some money.
owen

anything