Author Topic: In Memory of George "SUPERMAN" Herrin.  (Read 5743 times)

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
In Memory of George "SUPERMAN" Herrin.
« on: August 22, 2016, 02:11:27 pm »
This thread is to tell stories and share memories of George. 

He was a huge part of our sport and a major contributor to this forum.

I feel we need a place to share this info so it is all in one place. 

My stories will come a bit later. I wanted to get this started for those who want to share now.

Paul
Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
Re: In Memory of George "SUPERMAN" Herrin.
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2016, 05:37:23 pm »
THANK YOU PAUL! Here's a smile for ya all! HAVE YOU EVER SEEN ANYONE THAT LIKE CHICKEN MORE THAN GEORGE! THE FIRST TIME I MET GEORGE WAS AT VESTABURG KART SPEEDWAY IN MICHIGAN AROUND 2012. I WAS TALKING TO ROOSTER AND HE SAID "IF YOU WANT TO BE GEORGES FRIEND GET HIM SOME KFC! I HAVE NEVER SEEN ANYONE WHO ENJOYED THAT BUCKET SO MUCH! REST IN PEACE MY FRIEND!! THAT WAS THE SAME WEEKEND THE NOW FAMOUS "SUPERMAN LEAP" BACK ON THE TRACK HAPPENED! GOOD TIMES!
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2016, 10:43:47 pm »
I have many stories of G.

I haven't shared any stories yet as I'm still in shock.   I simply can't believe it.

I've been thinking a lot about him and I know he would want me to keep telling the stories.

So I'm going to share the one about the first time I met him.  Its a long story and one I will never forget.

It was 2005 and I had built my second USLMRA legal SP.   George helped me with my first one through emails as I didn't know what was legal and he was the tech guy at the time.   I only knew him by name.   Not who he was.

Anyway 2005 I built the red SP with my first "built" engine.   Mower never made laps, we loaded it and headed to Aroma Park Illinois.   Not knowing what to expect.

We got there before dark the day before the race.  We pulled in where there was room.  It just happened to be next to George's pit.   They were camping there just like we were.  As I started unloading the trailer here came George.   He just HAD to see what was in this trailer as I had never been to a national event ever.

Out came the mower.   He said it was to shiny to be a racer.

Next came the golf cart (we brought it as we had room and didn't know how big the track would be!!)  First thing he saw was the shiny paint and made some comment about that.   Then he noticed the aluminum wheels and all I heard was "Tommy, Tommy, you have to get over here and see these wheels!!!! We need them on the mowers!!!"   He was traveling with Tom Ast at the time.   G proclaimed he was going to steal them off the cart in the middle of the night.   He was greatly disappointed when he found out they were 10" wheels!!

So we hit it off right away.

He started looking my mower over.   First thing he said was it wouldn't make it though the weekend.  The tranny would explode.   I had a foote in it.

My new nickname was "rookie"

So it started raining, so we started drinking................before I set up our tent.

So I set up the tent while G was building a engine for I think Allen Minaker in the pits.

We continued to drink as it didn't stop raining.

G commented that my tent looked more like tepee and not a tent.   Told him it was all good and we would be fine.   So we drank some more.

Then he introduced me to Bobby Cleveland...........which is another story!!!

So it continued to rain and it didn't look like we were racing early in the morning, so we continued to tell stories and...........well drink.

Off to bed.   Then it really started to rain!

My tent fell over.   We (wife was along and not impressed) crashed in the trailer with my buddy.  Took the air mattress and pillows out of the tent.

Next morning we are sitting in the trailer as it is still raining and here came G.  Pounding on the side of the trailer.   "HEY ROOKIE YOU IN THERE?   YOUR TENT FELL DOWN!!!"

We emerged from the trailer, and I caught a ton of flack from everyone.  G pulled me to the side and asked why the tent fell down?   I told him it was an engineering issue.   He said it takes a big man to admit when he screws up and admired that I was honest about the situation, not making an excuse.

The race was rained out.   So we moved on to Mendota.   My mower still hasn't moved under power.

Get to Mendota and we are a ways down the line from the "big boys" in the pits.   George is still making a point to tease me about being a rookie and have never raced my mower.

Race day was bad.   I kept having belt issues.

George was right there offering advice, very good advice.  And at the same time baffled that my transmission hasn't blown up yet.

By the feature I put my last belt on and George came over and asked if I was good to go.  I told him yes and I was just going to take it easy and finish the feature.   Run the outside.  He said that was probably a good idea.

Well...........I got a great start (lemans starts then) and was 5-6 place out of what seemed 30 mowers.   I couldn't lift, I had to run it hard.   The changes I made to the belt worked, it was all good.     Then G was right............boom goes the tranny!

As he is helping me push my mower back to the pits for the 3rd time he still had to get one more crack in.  He doesn't even look at me as he is pushing and says..........."Rookie, your suppose to bring riding mowers to these events not push mowers!!!!".

We have been friends ever since...............................
Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline Michaelgc7

• Turf Warrior
  • To finish first you must first finish ;)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2016, 11:08:58 pm »
Thats an awesome story Paul :) George had the funniest, most blunt/truthful but yet most loving personality. I, like yourself haven't spoken since the news hit me. I still don't believe it.. :( a watery eyed weekend to say the least. My story isnt really a story but more like a short simple memory that i will always remember. It happened last november at the all American when i met him in person for the first time, though we regularly talked on facebook and on the phone we had never met in person, during that weekend it rained a lot, i believe it was saturday that we didnt race. At the end of the day (or the beginning i dont remeber exact details) Justin took out his new radio controlled late model car. I was talking with him when he got it and all i remember him saying is "whoooo heeee! man i can do a lot of cheatin' in thay little engine!" I smiled and yelled out "It aint cheating till you get caught!" he yelled back "AMEN BROTHER!!" man i was grinning from ear to ear we spent a couple hourse just talking after that, it was like George had a way to intantly make friends :)
Micheal Carrier

Owner of Carrierperformance.net , lawn mower racing superstore.

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2016, 02:52:57 pm »
Hello. I am Stacey Herrin. I remember the rain, your tent blowing over, and George giving you a hard time. I had forgotten about this. Thanks for the memory.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline mrmowitall

• Global Moderator
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.letsmow.com
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2016, 06:23:43 pm »
I remember it well.  My parents brought my youngest son, Lee to this race, and I have a photo of Lee sitting under a canopy waiting for the rain to stop. 
Bruce Kaufman
Mr. Mow It All
Founder & Past President
U.S. Lawn Mower Racing Association
Founded April 1, 1992

LetsMow.com
facebook.com/USLMRA

Offline jwitt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 08:08:51 am »
So sorry to hear this when I talked to Bruce on the phone yesterday.

I pretty much go back to the beginning of George's lawn racing career. I remember talking to him on the phone before he came to his first USLMRA race in Decatur, AL.
He showed up with a mower for darn near every class we had back then. I remember that he was slap wore out by the end of the weekend but he was hooked.

My thoughts are with Stacey and the kids.

RIP buddy.

Jim Witt 

anything