Author Topic: Front brakes  (Read 5776 times)

Offline farmboy_11L

• View Profile
Front brakes
« on: July 11, 2016, 01:59:03 am »
Thinking about getting some front brakes to put on my BP. Can't decide between mcp or hegar. What does everyone else think? Opinions?
Logan Wesley #11L
ARLMRA

Offline bubba4trax

• View Profile
Re: Front brakes
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 09:18:22 am »
I have used both. mcp has better stopping power but have to use 2 1/2" backspace on wheels. Hegar can use more back space on wheels and easier to install. either will do what you need in most cases.
Doyle Keeton
 2012 BTMRA Supersportsman Champion
2012 BTMRA Rookie of the Year

Offline Jeff McKelroy

• Professor Ducky
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Front brakes
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 06:29:07 pm »
I don't have much information about the MCP brakes. However, I believe you should always run as much rotor as you can get, which these setups provide. The only thing is you will need to be handy with a welder when attaching a mounting plate for the calipers.

I like the Hegar and EC front brakes because they are directly bolted on without any issues, and can accept 3-3.25" backspaced wheels, the Van-K two piece wheels make them a cinch, which is good if you are concerned about scrub radius.

I think on the Hegar caliper the piston is a little bit larger which makes for a bit more braking effort. A simple change of the clevis mounting point on the brake pedal will fix that.

The EC calipers have out of the box great stopping power, but the pads and rotors have a very limited lifespan. If you purchase the EC calipers, go ahead and purchase Hegar pads and rotors. I have been running the same set of Hegar pads and rotors for nearly three years.

anything