Author Topic: Independant Front suspension On Racing mower????  (Read 5897 times)

Offline Modzilla

• View Profile
Independant Front suspension On Racing mower????
« on: July 04, 2016, 07:47:09 pm »
Hey guys! So yesterday I went to A tractor show in Denton NC with my Friend and he picked up a super rare "pickup" Style Mower for 100$. we think is made by General Power or Bolens. It looks exactly like this but With no paint and surface Rust. The cast aluminum grille was a gold or yellow color.

Well we took it home and The briggs engine was shot so we took it out (Going to keep it but put in a Predator engine for now) then we replaced the front end with a golf cart solid axle and plan on putting a 1" axle with chain drive in the rear.

Long story short Today I inherited a '75 Club Cart Caroche

Its batteries were shot and I have no need for it so I plan on snagging the steering, Brakes, Front suspension and pieces from the frame and making my own mower then selling everything else I can to fund my new project. I plan on buying a large Wheel Horse 8 speed from a neighbor and using the parts from the cart.
The cart has independent front suspension with a leaf spring and shock set up. Is it unheard of to have a lowered independent front suspension setup? and is there a certain width that the mowers need to be? This was a fairly small club cart so its not that wide. I was looking on a few of the Racing mower association pages and most said that the mower would just be inspected at the race and I would hate to finish this thing and they say its unable to race.

Any help is greatly appriciated. Thanks!

Offline docbro

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Independant Front suspension On Racing mower????
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 08:30:11 pm »
Solid front axle, no suspension of any kind on front or rear axles.  Who are you racing with?  Neither USLMRA or ARMA allow suspended front axles or rear axles.  Hope this helps.  Rule books are available online.. just type in the organization you plan on running.
Kenny "Doc" Holder
2013 ULMRA FX Champion
2013 USLMRA 5th FXT
2012 USLMRA 3rd FX
2012 USLMRA 7th FXT
#606 GP, CP, BP, FX, FXT

Offline Modzilla

• View Profile
Re: Independant Front suspension On Racing mower????
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 08:54:53 pm »
Well dang. I'm really just building this for fun but I'm trying to keep racing in mind. Its not a big deal to change out the axle since It's just U bolts. Thanks for your help.