Author Topic: Axle Geometry  (Read 6219 times)

Offline Kokamo

• View Profile
Axle Geometry
« on: April 13, 2016, 09:42:44 am »
Have a question about the geometry on the EC axle. I've read all of George's post on how the EC axle works but one thing I didn't come across (or I must have missed it), was what the rearward lean of the top of the axle beam does. The B/P mower I recently purchased has this built into the setup....not sure if it's intended or not. If it is, I'd like to know what the intention is with it. The top of the axle beam looks to be slanted approx 5ish degrees toward the rear of the mower. I can get pictures if requested.

On another note, is the steering supposed to self center when you let go of the wheel? This thing pulls like mad to the right, but it all looks correct...no noticeable toe or camber....I haven't checked caster yet tho.

Thanks for any help,

~Joe
"Mow" Joe Hopkins
Liberty Hill, Tx

Offline crazycraftsman

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • owen
Re: Axle Geometry
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 09:45:30 pm »
The more you lean it back ,it puts more preload on inside tire when turning to help you turn. Not enough makes it  ( push) and too much makes it want to pull straight in the turns and burn your arms off fighting it. That's just my experience and there's a lot more too it. I'm still learning how to perfect it and it's hard because every track is different.
owen
Lawnmower Racing in B.C   Canada
WMWS points cup winner BP 2016
Wmws points cup winner CP 2017
Wmws points cup winner CP 2018

Offline allntexas

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Axle Geometry
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 09:30:02 am »
Like I told you on the phone, I am no expert on front axle geometry, but no they do not self return to center.  We will take a closer look at it next weekend and talk to several other racers on their opinions.
Dennis Drake #68
2011,2013,2014 C/P LSMRA Points Champion

anything