Author Topic: Transmission bucking  (Read 3248 times)

Offline MDMOWIN

• View Profile
Transmission bucking
« on: April 03, 2016, 10:08:20 am »
Hello all. I am new to the forum as a member although I have followed it for several years now. I recently purchased a GP and am really enjoying setting it up so far. I am having an issue of the clutch not fully disengaging the belt causing the tranny to want to nudge forward in gear. Needless to say this caused premature failure of the shift keys. I have ordered a new set of 4 but would like to get this problem straightened out to avoid further issues. The mower has the 8 in ec engine pulley, 5 in ec tranny pulley, as well as the ec clutch on the slack side. The current belt is a 67" and takes quite a bit of effort to put on without it threaded through the clutch. I tried a 68" but it was loose on the tight side and a test drive confirmed the looseness by slipping. I have 3 belt guides around each pulley as well as one for each clutch pulley. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I thank you for taking the time to read this.
Located in Western Maryland.

Jared

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Transmission bucking
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2016, 10:41:26 am »
Can you adjust the clutch rod length to take up the slack in the longer belt?
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline MDMOWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 10:50:03 am »
I have thought about that but have not yet tried it. I would assume that I need to make the rod shorter to allow more tension on the clutch. I am afraid if I get it too short I will have the same problem with the 68". The chassis is an mtd style with the 9 inch rod if I am correct.

Jared

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 10:56:52 am »
You could add an idler in there to take up some of the slack, but I would try adjusting the clutch rod length first.
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline MDMOWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 11:04:05 am »
I appreciate the quick reply. I have a 68" rotary Kevlar on the way. Once I replace the keys and put the transmission in I will try to shorten it to see if I can create ample tension while still having full disengagement.

Jared

Offline MDMOWIN

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2016, 03:07:44 pm »
Lengthened the clutch rod with a 68 belt and she runs like a champ! Thanks again

Jared

anything