Author Topic: New, coming in from Maryland! Questions about 2 stroke motors.  (Read 3414 times)

Offline wolfrabbit

• View Profile
Hey all. New from Maryland, joining to get some pointers and a bit of help. I plan on building a mower shortly, and am pretty clear on everything but the motor. I have a truly wicked 89' KX125 race motor that is begging for a home, and I thought why not. Rules I have found on the official page didn't say anything against it, but they also didn't say anything for 2 strokes. Would this just fit into the prepared class, or unlimited? It would be great in the 12 hour endurance type races if I can manage to get a stable chain driveline, the presence of a sealed wet clutch and gearbox means no more shredded belts!

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: New, coming in from Maryland! Questions about 2 stroke motors.
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 09:01:26 am »
No 2 strokes in mower racing.
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"

Powered by a Full Bug E.C. 20HP Vanguard!!!!

Offline docbro

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 10:31:40 pm »
The rules state that the engine has to be one made for commercially available mowers. (for clarification)
Kenny "Doc" Holder
2013 ULMRA FX Champion
2013 USLMRA 5th FXT
2012 USLMRA 3rd FX
2012 USLMRA 7th FXT
#606 GP, CP, BP, FX, FXT

Offline Flipper

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2016, 08:57:10 pm »
Hey all. New from Maryland, joining to get some pointers and a bit of help. I plan on building a mower shortly, and am pretty clear on everything but the motor. I have a truly wicked 89' KX125 race motor that is begging for a home, and I thought why not. Rules I have found on the official page didn't say anything against it, but they also didn't say anything for 2 strokes. Would this just fit into the prepared class, or unlimited? It would be great in the 12 hour endurance type races if I can manage to get a stable chain driveline, the presence of a sealed wet clutch and gearbox means no more shredded belts!

We do not use motorcycle engines in mowers here in Maryland. The rules are clearly written from USLMRA and ARMA(Available on this forum) that only a commercially available 4 Cycle Air Cooled, Gasoline engine for use with a Riding Mower or Mower related small engine motorized vehicle, can be used.

We, The Mason Dixon Lawn Mower Racing Association, will be at Jack's Small Engines in Jarrettsville MD, this Saturday April 2nd for their annual Open House. We will have a large complement of legal Racing Mowers on display and will be racing them throughout the day. If you have questions, this will be the time and place to go to get answers.

Next race is April 30th in VA and the big one for this year is May 21st.......Hyperfest 2016.  http://hyper-fest.com/
(Televised - with the Monster Energy Drifter Team, Motocross, Off Road Dirt Track, Road Race Motorcycles, Burnout Tire Massacre, car rolling/flip contest, Live Music and more....we will be racing 3 times in front of the grand stand)

And much more to come from Maryland and Virginia. We have Dates in Havre De Grace (Steppingstone Farm Museum), Laurel-Silver Spring-Burtonsville Moose lodge #658 -3 races , Howard County Farm Museum -2 races and Laplata(Charles Co Fair) this year as well as many in VA. We have 10 high profile car shows that we will have displays set up at too.

Flipper
Maryland Mafia Mower Racing Team (The Sod Father) President
Mason Dixon Lawn Mower Racing Association Chief Technical Director 2016, 2017
Mason Dixon Lawn Mower Racing Association Vice President 2018
2008 BP 1st Place Champion Delmarva LMRA
2008 2nd Place Champion Super Sportsman - Tri State LMRA
2009 Delmarva LMRA Presidents Award
2012 2nd Place Champion Super Sportsman North East National Division ARMA
2013, 2014, 2015 BP 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA
2013 Mod-XR 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA
2014, 2015, 2016, Mod-XR-T 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA & VLMRA
2013, 2014, 2015 IMOW 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017  Presidents Award for Excellence Mason
2017 North American ARMA National 1st Place Champion Mod-XR-T Class

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 09:33:36 pm »
I DON'T KNOW OF ANY ONE WHO USES MOTORCYCLE ENGINES, JUST SHIFTER KARTS AND THEY SIT TO LOW TO MOW LAWNS!
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

anything