Author Topic: Drive pullies...Aluminum vs. steel...  (Read 3463 times)

Offline Kokamo

• View Profile
Drive pullies...Aluminum vs. steel...
« on: March 19, 2016, 07:44:51 pm »
Was curious if there was an advantage in belt grip by running one or the other. Steel or aluminum or cast? I'm thinking cast would be much heavier to turn, thus more rotating mass.

Just a little question running thru my head at the moment.

~Joe
"Mow" Joe Hopkins
Liberty Hill, Tx

Offline chavez

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Drive pullies...Aluminum vs. steel...
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 11:53:10 pm »
Aluminum better grip, better heat dissipation, lighter, wears faster, depending upon source higher$.  I believe EC can re-groove the ones they sell, maybe others.  Cast and steel are plentiful and reasonably cheap, will wear longer than the aluminum. Cast being the heavier of the two but grips better than stamped steel.
Travis Callaway

Offline Jeff McKelroy

• Professor Ducky
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 03:08:56 pm »
EC no longer re-grooves. They used to, but the cost is the same as a new one.

The steel pullies will spread some under heavy load and high HP, and eventually split.

In any case, always carry an extra pulley and/or hub. I've seen many a good racer turn spectator on race day because of pulley problems. Same thing goes for trans pulley. If the engine pulley's worn, likely the transmission pulley may be worn as well.

Offline DeereRacer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2016, 10:49:00 pm »
You have to find the one piece steel pulleys they do not split. The 8" steel drive pulleys can even be made lighter than the aluminum EC.  The EC 5" aluminum driven pulley is much lighter than the steel pulleys but is very sloppy on the input shaft with no way to tighten it up. I like the idea of aluminum pulleys but have yet to find one that makes me happy.
"There are three easy ways of losing money - racing is the quickest, women the most pleasant, and farming the most certain."

Well I got two of the three covered.
Martin
Thumb Mowers
Michigan