Author Topic: 700 Gear Options  (Read 3911 times)

Offline DeereRacer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
700 Gear Options
« on: February 19, 2016, 07:58:55 pm »
At my last race I busted 3rd gear into pieces and knocked some teeth off of second. I was running a pretty high gear (14/42).  Is there optional gears out there that are stronger for the peerless? If so what are there part numbers and how to tell them apart?
"There are three easy ways of losing money - racing is the quickest, women the most pleasant, and farming the most certain."

Well I got two of the three covered.
Martin
Thumb Mowers
Michigan

Offline chavez

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 700 Gear Options
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2016, 11:23:01 pm »
If you only need the one gear, put two sets of gears together and make your own shift keys from key stock. Pita to get in gear, but doubles the gear strength.

What dia pulleys are you using? May need to spin the Trans faster to take torque off the Gearset. Wot on rough stuff and clutch dumping will lead you to your current problem sooner than average.
Travis Callaway

Offline DeereRacer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2016, 12:22:54 am »
A couple of friends of mine have also did the double gear and and key stock trick to there transmissions. It is hard to get my mower rolling smoothly when I got real tall gears in it plus it would be a bit fast for the pits. I usually have to start in second and shift up to race gear. This transmission had been going strong for at least 3 years until this happened. I run a 8" engine 5" transmission pulley like everyone else. I plan on adding a lot more power in the future so I want to make the trans as bullet proof as possible.
"There are three easy ways of losing money - racing is the quickest, women the most pleasant, and farming the most certain."

Martin
Thumb Mowers
Michigan

Offline chavez

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2016, 03:58:07 pm »
Well, in racing what can break will, along with other stuff that shouldn't.   Three years is pretty good on those parts, if I were you, I'd just order up new gears if your case is ok and not look back. 
Travis Callaway

Offline DeereRacer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2016, 02:50:24 am »
I already got some new used gears in place. I just curious if there are different options for gears like the steel input gears verses the cast ones.
I usually just have problems with the input bearing or output bushing but my next mower build should have that solved. If I can get a key slot cut in the hardened input shaft.

Martin
Thumb Mowers
Michigan

Offline Eatondirt

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2016, 01:59:11 pm »
There are steel gears for the 700 for Both the bevel gears and the drive gears also. I think I have them saved.  As that member that shared this information all got deleted, as they must of figured no would ever need it
Casey Eaton
Big Dog Mower Racing

anything