Author Topic: Peerless Trans Outer Case Question ?  (Read 3033 times)

Offline 1Toy2Many

• View Profile
Peerless Trans Outer Case Question ?
« on: January 20, 2016, 12:16:16 pm »
Hi Guys ,

Ive been looking for a outside case for my 734 Peerless Gear drive . Ive looked at a few the only thing I can see different so far is the applications .  Some have the 8 tooth sprocket with the large input and long shaft on it and some have the nubs sticking out with a splines shaft .  Some will have the brake mounted to the out side but its removable . I got mine out of a 7/26 sears snowblower and the side with the pto cracked its case .  So was looking for a outer case only .   So the cases are the same ? But the insides are different? Mines 5 speed  4 forward and 1 reverse .  Im looking at a 4 speed 3 forward and 1 reverse ?  ones a 745 and ones a 723 .   Thanks for the read . 

Offline 1Toy2Many

• View Profile
Re: Peerless Trans Outer Case Question ?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 07:12:54 pm »
Sorry posted this in the for sale area.

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2016, 08:59:16 am »
Some of the cases are closed off on the countershaft where the factory brake would mount. If that were the case, you would need a countershaft that does not extend out the side of the case.

There are some that use bearings vs. bushings for the output and/or countershaft. These are not as common.

For the most part, the big differences were all in the internals. Gear sets and number of gears.

If you have a case that is open on the ends for both shafts, and uses bushings, it is interchangeable with any other case that is open on both shaft ends. If it is closed off on the countershaft, they are also interchangeable provided you have a countershaft that does not have a factory brake mounting provision. Or, chuck it in a lathe and cut the brake mounting splines off.

Do not use the gray steel bushings. Use the bronze bushings.
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline 1Toy2Many

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2016, 09:08:13 am »
Thanks for the info .   I opened both trans and found that one was a 3 speed ( my Donor ) and my original was a 4 speed .  It was a easy swap . Getting the snap ring of the pinion gear was the hardest because my tool didnt have the smallest pins . But a trusty small flat head screw driver worked well .  Brass bushings on both . My donor trans I only used the out side case on the PTO side ( Large Pully and Long shaft side )  Mine had some how had the chain on the out side drive wheels jump off and pulled the trans from its brackets cracking the case on the pto side .   So now I have a the complete in side gears and back cover . The gears are in great shape not one chip or smooth tooth that I can see so far ( thick grease ).

I got it all in and tested yesterday. Now I am just waiting for some snow to test this out .   Craftsman 7/26 1988 Two Stage Snowblower 25.00 dollar find plus 35.00 trans.

Thanks again for your help .

anything