Author Topic: Hello from diygokarts  (Read 2600 times)

Offline KartFab

• View Profile
Hello from diygokarts
« on: October 22, 2015, 11:33:55 am »
Hey all,

I stumbled upon this site while researching right angle gearboxes and have some specific questions. This seems like the right place to be given the fact that you all do race mowers. I have a project that is not a race mower, but will share some parts that you all use in race mowers. Just to give you all some background, I build and restore go karts from scratch and have modified some with bigger engines to pop wheelies and have a good time. I weld on the side and can mig/tig, I have a friend that can machine stuff as well. I also have a website/youtube channel that i have dedicated to just go karts (http://kartfab.com http://www.youtube.com/c/kartfab )

I have come up with another hair brained idea and am in need of some assistance, I need help sourcing some parts specifically the gearbox and how to connect shafts from gearbox to other solid shafts. Here is the plan, visualized from the engine to the rearwheels:

engine in front horizontal shaft v-twin -predator 670 on honda gx620 that i need to rebuild, oriented with shaft facing rearward, slight angle downward
torque converter 40 series with driven straight down below the contraption
driven unit shaft will attach to 40 series driven unit, the first part of the shaft needs to be keyed, can be 5/8" 3/4" or 7/8" shaft
driveline from driven unit to gearbox unknown, i need help here. should it be hollow, solid? need assitance with connection points, u joints? no joints?  just extend the solid shaft and support with some pillow block bearings?
connection from driveline to gearbox unknown
right angle gearboxunknown, have looked online but the ones that have the HP rating, are only rated for 1800 rpm, higher rpm ratings only ratedf for 1-3 hp or 10 hp, ill be putting out 22-24 hp (yes i know that 40 series may not handle that but im willing to risk it and have some genuine comets laying around)
connection from gearbox to final drive shaft again, u joints? how to connect/extend the shaft?
connection from shaft to chainwill be determined by drive ratio of the ragb, tire size, and max speed that i want at 3600 rpm ( i can do the math, that is the easy part)
chainwill likely go for 420p chain
rear axle 1" or 1 1/4"?  im used to 1" stuff
hubs not too concerned about it, just need to find hubs that will match the bolt pattern of the rims (see below)
tires and rimsi want some chrome rims, slick rear tires, or rain/turf saver type, no knobby tires.

so, hello all, and i hope to get some help here if you all are so inclined -  let the newb bashing begin  :bash: :-) if you all have any requests from me or need further information, please feel free to ask for clarifications. thanks in advance!

Also, im from the dallas fort worth area of Texas.

Offline bubba4trax

• View Profile
Re: Hello from diygokarts
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2015, 01:32:42 pm »
Why are you wanting to add all this unnecessary parts & pieces? Mounting the engine forward facing & centrifugal clutch, then chain to jackshaft, chain from jackshaft to rear axle. Nice and simple and not a lot of failure points.
Doyle Keeton
 2012 BTMRA Supersportsman Champion
2012 BTMRA Rookie of the Year

Offline KartFab

• View Profile
Re: Hello from diygokarts
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015, 02:24:10 pm »
Well, I for sure will be using a torque converter as I am looking for torque and acceleration, not near constant RPM/speed racing. Clutch is out of the picture.

As for the chain as the major component of the driveline, I am thinking that the sheer length (4 ft about) between the engine and rear axle will be an issue. I think that the chain may 1)stretch way too much, and constantly need adjustment 2) have clearance issues 3) just be too long and bounce around/fling off

Does that make sense?