Author Topic: offset keyway?  (Read 4835 times)

Offline cerialsledder

• View Profile
offset keyway?
« on: July 27, 2015, 02:36:48 pm »
Ok back to the stock motor.  Trying to advance the timing on the stock motor but trying to figure out how far to advance it and I know I'm limited by the keyway offset.  I remember talking to cromwell on the phone about it but I can't remember and I have lost his number.  Anyone have ideas?

Offline chavez

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: offset keyway?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 07:53:55 pm »
Really no need for a key, but unless you have a degree wheel, it's a guess.  I made a pointer and Mark on my crank pulley so I can easily find tdc, then marked off (by 2° increments up to 32°btdc on the pulley). Have a Mark on the flywheel that lines up with a certain spot on the coil. Pretty easy to adjust once the homework is done. Of course this only works with this one engine/pulley combo. All that once the flywheel is lapped to the crank.
Travis Callaway

Offline cerialsledder

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 08:27:21 am »
Really no need for a key, but unless you have a degree wheel, it's a guess.  I made a pointer and Mark on my crank pulley so I can easily find tdc, then marked off (by 2° increments up to 32°btdc on the pulley). Have a Mark on the flywheel that lines up with a certain spot on the coil. Pretty easy to adjust once the homework is done. Of course this only works with this one engine/pulley combo. All that once the flywheel is lapped to the crank.

So what I got from your reply is that if I lap my flywheel to my crank then the key is really not needed?  Lapping them makes it enough to where they will no slip?

Offline chavez

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 10:41:20 am »
If torqued properly yes, but only on a racing engine.
Travis Callaway

Offline cerialsledder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 11:01:35 am »
If torqued properly yes, but only on a racing engine.

What is your definition of racing engine?  To me all engines can be racers till they grenade LOL!!!

Offline chavez

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 01:04:55 pm »
IE: not used to cut grass...
Travis Callaway