Author Topic: noob mower build  (Read 6675 times)

Offline dinobball23

• View Profile
noob mower build
« on: June 23, 2015, 11:30:55 pm »
Looking at building a racing mower for ice, im sure i will end up using it around here on the dirt roads and tracks as well. but my main goal is to build a mower to race on track setup up as a mini road course on the ice. The racing mower thing is all new to me, but i do have 4 or 5 mowers to start with, i know i will pretty much just be using the frame and will be making changes to that as well. Just looking what to use for axle and drive line parts. not looking to follow any rules or anything like that, have a group of us in the area just going to try and have some fun. have thought of even using small dirt bike engines idk if that is a good idea or not. looking for any advice or direction on this. thanks in advance. i know alot of forums would just tell me to use the search feature in which i have a little. but looking for more advice specific to my build

Offline chavez

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: noob mower build
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 11:56:33 pm »
Well, I'd suggest picking out a class and building, if not at least loosely to that.  You may find yourself wanting to get into it and if you just go all engine and no rules, you won't be able to play on race day. Since you don't have in your profile a location, it's tough to say what might be beat you.
Travis Callaway

Offline dinobball23

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 07:25:30 am »
Located near littleton nh. There are not any classes that allow dirt bike engines are there? I was just thinking that may work well as the engines would hold up and have decent power but maybe not a good way to go.

I'm also looking for advise  on what to use for drive line comoments such as axles, steering, and all that. Not looking to build just a stock mower

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 08:55:17 am »
Well, I'd suggest picking out a class and building, if not at least loosely to that.  You may find yourself wanting to get into it and if you just go all engine and no rules, you won't be able to play on race day. Since you don't have in your profile a location, it's tough to say what might be beat you.

Good advice. 

We only do sanctioned builds here.   Only mower engines. 

And yes you should search.  There is a ton of info here. And a bunch of pictures in the build section. 
Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline Nkaratzas89

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 04:01:03 pm »
Im right in Durham NH, and there really aren't many tracks for dirt in NH but there are a couple in ME and the SLMRA in STrafford NH is the only ice racing around! Good luck with your build, hope you and your friends have fun on your ice course.
Nico
MP Mowersports #89 CP/Mod-x

2016 Prove It Mower Racing - 2nd Place Mod-xr
2017 ARMA 3rd place SP
2018 ARMA Mod-x National Champion

Offline dinobball23

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 12:15:32 am »
Im right in Durham NH, and there really aren't many tracks for dirt in NH but there are a couple in ME and the SLMRA in STrafford NH is the only ice racing around! Good luck with your build, hope you and your friends have fun on your ice course.

Hey Thanks, actually after we thought of the idea, we did find the slmra group in Stratford which we knew nothing about. Looks like that have a nice lil thing going but want to do it a little bit differently. WeRe always on the ice anyway racing sleds on the lakes. So figured so.e road course style racing would be different and fun.

As far as the rules go right  Ow do t have much to follow but even if I did just looking for what everyone es opinions are on driveline, brakes, steering g axles all that stuff for my situation. I was assuming and saw that alot of go cart parts are used. I could figure it all out as I'd say I'm pretty mechanically enclined as I've built many different things from sleds to pulling trucks. Just figure a couple people could point me in the right direction to make it easier and what I should Gsthering for parts and such

salon

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 09:20:44 am »
Good luck getting any of the guys on here to help you out unless you tell them that your following their rules.

I'm in the same boat as you. There's a group of 7 of us that are building our own mowers to race on our private property. There are no mower races even remotely close to my area. Just a group of us that want to get together and enjoy the common ground we all have here. Racing mowers.

But like most things, if it doesn't fit someone's agenda, they are little to no help around here.

Your best off to just quietly read through the builds and figure out how everyone else does it.

And don't scoff at the mower engines. Some of them make dirt bike engines look like weed wackers.

Offline dinobball23

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2015, 12:46:05 pm »

im kinda getting that impression already which i think is weird as the other forums im apart of, everyone seems to help everyone out. on the other forums i have alot more knowledge so i even help out if i feel i can or if someone hasnt already. I guess i havnt technically been a part of a racing forum or anything. just looking for a good jump start and what to use for parts but guess i can read through and figure it out myself

Good luck getting any of the guys on here to help you out unless you tell them that your following their rules.

I'm in the same boat as you. There's a group of 7 of us that are building our own mowers to race on our private property. There are no mower races even remotely close to my area. Just a group of us that want to get together and enjoy the common ground we all have here. Racing mowers.

But like most things, if it doesn't fit someone's agenda, they are little to no help around here.

Your best off to just quietly read through the builds and figure out how everyone else does it.

And don't scoff at the mower engines. Some of them make dirt bike engines look like weed wackers.

Offline Nkaratzas89

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 09:35:20 pm »
Are you looking to use a kart axle? If so BMI karts is cheap and will have what you need. as for your engine.. I'd stick to lawn mower engines, in my opinion its part of what sets a racing lawn mower, apart from a gokart. But if you want easy speed and less modification than a dirt bike or sled engine is good to use, not in an association like ARMA (what I race in) and USLMRA of course but it would work on your course with your buddies.

Best of luck, im here to help if you have questions!

-Nico
Nico
MP Mowersports #89 CP/Mod-x

2016 Prove It Mower Racing - 2nd Place Mod-xr
2017 ARMA 3rd place SP
2018 ARMA Mod-x National Champion