Author Topic: Questionable "internal" engine modifications.  (Read 32409 times)

Offline berthyd

• Turf Warrior
  • Voted of the Island
    • View Profile
Re: Questionable "internal" engine modifications.
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2015, 07:36:21 pm »
Bert actually want to hang with me due to the fact I am huge in Japan.
Bert happens to be a big deal in Kazakhstan, which is no where near as cool as Japan.

Kazakhstan has some cool billet performance parts for Trabants. NOW who's cool?

Bert
Gary Busey and Rick James both used to live in my shop. Redline stole them.

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2015, 07:55:34 pm »
Yeah. I hate to break it to you, but billet lug nuts are not exactly performance parts. And they sure wont make the chicks dig a Trabant.
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline IADIRT51

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2015, 03:28:13 pm »
Any of you guys know what UAS kart racing is? Its is the acronym forUnlimited All Stars and it started out as a kart series for the guys wanting to get away from IKF rules, and do some trial and error experimentation on kart engines of the day. For what karting had become it was budget-less racing of RWYB (run what you brung) but no one cared to spend 10k. Two cycles limited to 250cc and four cycles at 500, but we had the field covered pretty well with a good basis Italian engine that still produces a lot of power, (30-35 ft. lbs. and 60-65 hp all out of 131cc single cyl. dual 380's on alky). Mainly because there no one wanted to spend the time to cut the transmission off of a 450 or 250 and mount it to a jackshaft plate. Then came someone with 10k to spend and finds out that this Jawa engine used in Europe in speedway bikes makes 50ft. lbs. and 100 hp carbed, add 10 to both with FI(all from 500cc single cyl.) . Now we stand at a point where what karting has been about for the last 10 years which is the best working tires and chassis will beat the biggest hp, period. Now these Jawa engines produce enough hp that chassis and tires can be, well the tires got a night left and the chassis can be ehh close, and their stomping everyone as long as the guy behind the wheel has a steady head on his shoulders and can wheel. Now we all complain about the Jawa's beating us with more hp than you care to need. My point in this is that there was a specific series with a body and rules catering to anyone that was willing to do what it takes, and now that technology has provided us with what we have we don't know how to handle it.

I agree with OEM castings in the Supers and FXS/T, they ARE NOT meant to be open style, they are still mower based which is why there is to left to right tire stagger,no seat offset and engines still mounted in front of the driver in near original position, believe me I would love for those to open up, but it would kill mower racing, why? Because we would have kart chassis with hoods and fenders.

There is mower heritage still in these classes so lets keep it that way, limit guys (and gals) to OEM casting of heads and blocks, let the rest be open, and have yourself a day. If you want to be superstar no offense to anyone, but lawnmower racing is not for you. Its fun family engaging Sunday activity that anyone can do.

I built ONE mowchine, and couldn't keep it running so I tore it apart and stored the parts in a tote, while I raced gokarts for a few years (for a very reputable two cycle engine builder) where I had little to no expenses and gained a tremendous amount of knowledge pertaining to rigid chassis and racing tires from karts to indy's.

I now want to build another because I do not care to spend more money on tires than anything else in my trailer and deal with the drama of guys thinking they are superstars and that I'm just in their way. I want to have fun no matter where I finish and admire the work of the people around me and hope that they admire mine.

Mower racing is not a show case of track talent, it is a showcase of pits talent and craftsmanship, putting the time into something that you are passionate about and being able to afford it. That is why we show up on Sunday's. Not to become somebody.

:twocents:

Offline berthyd

• Turf Warrior
  • Voted of the Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 22, 2015, 08:04:20 pm »
I just do it for the beer afterwards.

Bert
Gary Busey and Rick James both used to live in my shop. Redline stole them.

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2015, 06:16:42 am »
Well said IADIRT51.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

anything