Author Topic: Peerless Part Numbers  (Read 6081 times)

Offline outlaw#6

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Peerless Part Numbers
« on: March 11, 2015, 08:20:26 pm »
I need some help from the Peerless experts out there!

I bought a right angle gearbox, made by an individual, which contains peerless gears. What I'm trying to do is figure out exactly what gears are inside of it and to be able to buy replacement and spare parts. I've done some research, and I believe what I have is as follows:

Input shaft from an 820 transaxle, 3/4" shaft PN-776274
Bevel gear from a 700 Transmission, 14 Tooth, PN-778113A - Got this part number from the person I bought the gearbox from.
Bevel gear from an MST-200 transaxle, 30 Tooth, PN-778334 - This guess is based upon the 5986-P1 stamped on the gear.

Now my questions:
1. From my research, I can replace the input bevel 778113A with 778153 to get a true steel gear, and not the pressed style. Is this correct?
2. Is there a steel replacement available for the output bevel 778334?
3. Are my part numbers accurate for the description of each that I have given?
4. What is a good, online source for the various Peerless parts I need?

I realize that I should be able to get these numbers from the person I bought the gearbox from, but so far my experience with that hasn't been the greatest. I certainly don't want something to break during the racing season and have to get replacement parts from them. I also like to carry spare parts with me whenever I go racing.
Brian Reis

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
Re: Peerless Part Numbers
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 08:49:49 pm »
You can replace the bevel gear with the 778153 steel version. In fact i highly recommend it. The none steel is not gonna hold up to any real motor with HP. They didnt in a 700 and they sure as heck aint in a ragb. And if the other is not a true steel gear and one cant be found to replace it then it will wear or break when you put the other in quickly. These gears aint cheap Brian hope you aint spent a lot on this box.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline outlaw#6

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2015, 03:25:47 pm »
Brian,

1.  Yes, as George mentioned, the 778153 can replace the 778113A.  However, if you are using it for racing, you should replace the 778113A with the 778176 Bevel Pinion that uses the 780071 needle-style Thrust Bearing.  You will also need 2) 780072 bearing-race Thrust Washers.
2.  No, there is no steel (ST) replacement for the powdered metal (PM) 778334.  All the MST gears are PM.
3.  Yes, your part numbers were accurate -- thanks!

The main problem with your right-angle gearbox, and the reason I suspect the other owner sold it, is the Reply I just got from Peerless Engineering when I asked the compatibility of the 778113A  (and the 778153 / 778176 substitutes) Pinion and the 778334 Driven Bevel Gear:
"The Pitch is different on these 2 gears.  They will not work together."
  So...unless you just want to experiment and see how long this gearbox will last before it self-destructs, you will need to use the 42-Tooth 778154 ST mating 700 Bevel Gear with your Input Pinion, which will make your ratio 3:1, or, if you want a ratio closer to the 2.14:1 ratio you have with your current mismatched gears, use the 13-Tooth 778245 and 33-Tooth 778246 Bevel Gears from the 820s, which will give you a 2.54:1 ratio.  Either of these combinations will likely require you to rework your gearbox case, as these correct-gear centerlines will not conform to your mismatched gears.

Thank you for your work on this. I now understand why the individual selling this wouldn't give me the part numbers before I bought the gearbox.

On to step two...How do we fix it? I'm not big on hoping it will survive, from all the years that I've been racing I've learned: "If it looks like it might break, it will. If it looks like it will never break, it still might."

Could you get me a measurement for the outside diameter of the 33T PN 778246 bevel gear? To see if it will fit inside of the gearbox. Also, the width of the entire gear at the splines? Am I correct in thinking that the 778334 gear i have and the 778246 use the same size shaft/spline arrangement?  
Brian Reis

Offline outlaw#6

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 10:56:29 am »
Brian,

You're most welcome.  Yes, hindsight is always 20/20.

Excellent racing philosophy!  If it's mechanical, it can break.  As for fixing it, you may need to remachine the output shaft location.

The 778246 Driven Bevel Gear for the 820 is 3.248"-3.250" OD (not quite 1/4" larger OD than the 778334); width 0.517"-0.519". And yes, the splines are the same. 

The larger gear will not fit inside of the gearbox, so what I have now won't work.

The individual I bought this gearbox from has promised to build a new one, with the Peerless 820 gearset as listed above. Hopefully they make it right with me.

If/when I get the new gearbox I will be ordering my spare parts from you Rodney. Thank you for your help.
Brian Reis

Offline outlaw#6

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 11:49:36 pm »
Brian,

You're most welcome.  It sounds like you have a working relationship with the individual who built your gearbox, which is good. 
   Remember...the 820 Bevel Drive Pinion (P/N 778245) uses the 5-piece needle-style thrust-bearing assembly between the back of the bevel pinion and the case.

Will need to be a grease of some sort, as there are no oil seals. I was planning on finding a very light grease to put inside of it.

Any suggestions?  
Brian Reis

Offline Darkviper

• Turf Warrior
  • Sponsored by vegascarts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2015, 08:00:55 am »
I took all grease out of a stock one and put gear lube in it and put a e.c carborate o ring to seal it from leaking out the input shaft. Then silicon both top of case and bottom of the case back together. Then put a breather on it. It ran good with modified ohv single on it. Also it had modifed flathead on it. Currently its in a buddys gp mower and all was down with replace a shifter fork I think it was had a hard time shifting to first gear. It wasn't steel gears one. I also had peerless right angle gear box it came off of a mower deck. It was 1to1 ratio.
Jonathon Kaup
Sponsored by vegascarts

Offline outlaw#6

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2015, 09:01:37 pm »
An update of my gearbox problems:

After the individual who made my gearbox promised to build another one with the steel gears out an 820 transaxle I waited for about a week, then asked the progress. I was then told they had ordered the new gears and they would arrive shortly. A few days afterwards, I was told that he had given me the wrong part number for the input shaft gear, and that the gear in my gearbox would match with the output shaft gear. Both the input and output gears are from the MST-200 so were pressed metal, with no steel replacements available. Since the gears matched, they had to decide if I was going to get a new gearbox with the true steel gears. With only 33 days until my test and tune, I decided to cut my losses and order a new, factory built gearbox, from a local company.

I'm not going to name the company I have been dealing with. However, I wish to advise people to be certain of whom they are dealing with before they order anything. I took a chance with this company, not knowing much about them, and it didn't turn out well for me. I ordered this gearbox the middle of January, with the agreement that I was to get the part numbers for all of the internal parts, I still haven't recieved the part numbers. I could go on and on, but no need to say any more.
Brian Reis

anything