Author Topic: steering help PLEASE!!!!  (Read 11890 times)

Offline outlaw#6

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: steering help PLEASE!!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2015, 11:44:11 pm »
I hate that it is legal at all. 

Chain steering is an accident waiting to happen. 

I don't understand why a chain is more likely to fail than any other part of the steering? Is your concern that it will come off the sprockets?

Anything can break, but a good, well lined up chain is very strong. I'd be willing to bet it is stronger than the splines on a steering quickener, or a u-joint at an even moderate angle.

Not that I think it's a good idea. To get all of the play out of a steering setup with a chain, the chain is going to have to be REALLY tight. Don't know if it's going to decrease your steering effort much. My vote is a backwards steering quickener, or a bigger steering wheel.
Brian Reis

Offline Jeff McKelroy

• Professor Ducky
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2015, 12:12:08 am »
I have front brakes so my tires are a bit further out on my front spindles than normal.  Im pretty sure this is what is giving me this problem and cant quite figure out how to overcome it...

Something I'm always experimenting with. Both caster and scrub radius increase steering effort, and can mask other important issues. Most drivers start with as much caster as possible, I disagree to that as being the cure-all for lack of forward bite. Rooster used to always be on my butt about the amount of scrub radius I had in my steering setups, and it finally sunk in a little. I started out on my GP with 6-1/4" positive scrub(!!), and now have it down to 2.25" positive, and that's with EC's brakes installed. For me, it takes experimenting with axle beam length, tire width and wheel backspacing. They are a pain sometimes, but the Van-K wheel halves can be your friend. As far as caster, just because "everyone else" is running 8-12° positive caster doesn't mean you have to. Now all of my mowers have as little scrub as possible. Including my FX/S.

Never be afraid to experiment. It's one basic advantage you can have over other racers. Use the fact that nobody like change to your benefit. Don't just pick one thing, bend it around a little bit, and decide it's as good as it's going to get. Because that's where top dogs of this sport win before ever showing up at the track.

Offline Bill Morrow

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2015, 12:14:40 pm »
Good info, Jeff.  Thanks for sharing it.