Author Topic: 3/4 live axle help  (Read 4718 times)

Offline jmiracle83

• View Profile
3/4 live axle help
« on: October 30, 2014, 06:18:25 pm »
Just a quick question.  I can get solid 3/4 keyed stock, bearings and locking collars free from work. Just wondering if this will be strong enough to hold up under a G/P with a b&s 15.5? Just wanting input hate to find out the hard way:-[
Get any closer and I"ll flick ur visor!!!!
Jeremy Miracle  martinsville va

Offline mowdivator

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 3/4 live axle help
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 06:30:13 pm »
I would use a minimum of 1" ...but if it was me I'd use 1 1/4 that way if you want to move up a class you are ready to go...plus 1 1/4 is what most of us run ..so if something ever breaks.. there r plenty of spare parts floating around the pits

Offline Ivan The 8th

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 11:35:32 pm »
 I was going to run the 3/4 axle also to save money, but I was strongly advised to get a 1-1/4" axle. The 3/4" axle will bend in the first race, which will take the fun right out of the it.  :cry: Ask racers in your area for help finding used stuff to build your machine.
Tom Smyth aka "Ivan"

Offline Conductor 81

• THINKING WAY OUTSIDE THE BOX!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 12:17:46 pm »
I've ran a 3/4 axle in my G/P for two years now and I have a 17.5 briggs in my mower. I have ha good luck with it. Myself I wouldn't be scared to use 3/4 I did bend one but I flipped the mower and it landed odd that was the only way ive bent one. And I push my mower hard. Thats my 2 cents on it.
Keith

Offline jmiracle83

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 03:15:50 pm »
Ok guys thanks for some input , I'll have to do some figuring,  may try it since it's free, if it bends then I'm not out any cash just time in the man cave, and be honest who doesn't want a reason to be in there more..lol.

Offline LHoernke

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2014, 09:43:40 am »
Keep in mind, what ever axle you use make sure it is as free turning as possible. My old race mower had a 1" axle and when I built my new mower I went to a 1 1/4". It is a night and day difference in how free it rolls with the 1 1/4". It will almost roll out of the garage on its own.
Lee Hoernke #84

Offline jmiracle83

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2014, 04:03:25 pm »
What would make the difference in how it rolls? Bearing quality? or just the shaft diameter itself? First build so just tring to under stand.

Offline crazycraftsman

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • owen
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 06:54:46 pm »
I raced and still race a ap with 3/4 axle but its only 35" wide. I have 4 support bearings and have not bent it yet. 3 years of ruff tracks. Anything with a modified engine and it snaps.
Owen
owen
Lawnmower Racing in B.C   Canada
WMWS points cup winner BP 2016
Wmws points cup winner CP 2017
Wmws points cup winner CP 2018

Offline LHoernke

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2014, 02:10:22 pm »
What would make the difference in how it rolls? Bearing quality? or just the shaft diameter itself? First build so just tring to under stand.

If it rolls hard it takes more horsepower to turn the tires= slower speed= being less competitive=worse finishing spot= not as much fun. Get good quality bearings. I recommend using the 1 1/4" axle with the free spin bearings, and it is no lie the bearings are free spin. I am not aware of any 3/4" free spin bearings. I can push my race mower with 1 finger using little effort in doing so.
Lee Hoernke #84

Offline jmiracle83

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 06:46:29 pm »
Ok guys thanks for your help and insight guess I'll wait for stronger axles made the can hook me up with some other freebies.

Offline willenglish

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2014, 05:14:54 am »
Im my opinion, and I know others will disagree, any axle under 1.25" is not large enough. Personally, Ive seen three 1" axles just break off, entire wheel hub tire assembly just fall off on the track. My guess is you are planning on using pillow block type bearings, which not only dont roll freely...but are very heavy.  I would use the 1.25" size....because its the std. kart size. They are inexpensive plus there is a world of very high quality lightweight componants available for it.  And the afore mentioned free rolling bearings ARE free rolling. Additionally, I would set it up for #35 chain, plenty strong, and light weight. Do not use the bulk chain available at Tractor Supply and places like that. It WILL NOT hold up.
William L. English, jr.