Author Topic: Washington County Fair Abingdon, VA (near Bristol, TN/VA)  (Read 3467 times)

Offline stvn_VA

• Gold Star
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Washington County Fair Abingdon, VA (near Bristol, TN/VA)
« on: August 08, 2014, 12:54:18 pm »
A lawnmower race is scheduled for Monday, September 8 @ 7pm as part of the Washington County Fair in Abingdon, VA.  I just became involved with coordinating this race within the last month or so because the board of directors over the fair came VERY close to cancelling the event all together due to lack of participants (about 10 or so).  I know it is a Monday night that is not ideal for me either but I'm just playing the cards I'm dealt and I need some help.  If anyone out there is interested or know of other mowers please let them know.  I have contacted Rebels & Rednecks in NC and Pam is going to check with some of her racers.  Please help me show them how many mowers they have here local.   I have done a lot of "shoveling" and they have told me IF I can get a good showing at the fair that they would give me a Saturday evening/night for just mowers next year during the year aside from the fair.  The track is less than 2 miles off of Interstate 81 very easy to find and not way out in the woods somewhere.   Thanks guys for your help and support, I need all I can get.  Never done this before but sometimes you just got to step up if you want to keep racing. My info is in my profile if you would like to get in touch with me.
Steven
Southern Thunder Racing
Abingdon, VA

There are three kinds of men;
 1.) The ones that learn by reading
 2.) The few who learn by observation
 3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

Offline stvn_VA

• Gold Star
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Washington County Fair Abingdon, VA (near Bristol, TN/VA)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 10:19:57 am »
I attended a Fair commission meeting last night and got a few more details.  Racers will be charged an fee to enter the fair of $10 per person plus an additional $10 to enter the race BUT the race will pay the first three positions.  The amount of the purse will be determined my the number of racers because the entry fees will be used to pay out the purses.  Future lawnmower races will be hanging in the balance by the turnout we get this year.  This is a big track it is a permanent track with lights.  I've attached some links so you guys can see the track in the videos.  If you are local PLEASE come out and help.  My contact info is here PM me or email.  

Proper gear on racers needed to show video.
Steven
Southern Thunder Racing
Abingdon, VA

Offline Huffy044

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Washington County Fair Abingdon, VA (near Bristol, TN/VA)
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 11:07:25 am »
How long is the track? Is this a race for prize money?
VLMRA Singles Points Champion 2006
VLMRA Mini Champion 2007
VLMRA Sportsman Champion 2007
VLMRA Pro-X Champion 2008, 2009
ARMA Sportsman of the Year 2008
ARMA South East Region Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012
ARMA National Champion Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013
Maxton NC Model A Record Holder 118.54
VGMR 1932 Model A roadster world record 165.8

Offline stvn_VA

• Gold Star
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 11:25:17 am »
I am going today with a fellow racer and do some trimming around the bleachers and I am planning on taking a 300 foot tape measure to get an actual measurement of the track.  Yes the races will be for prize money and a trophy.  What has been done in the past is basically 3 races.  Super Stock, Modified Single and Modified Twin.  Those three races were the only ones for money.  For example you have 5 racers in one race for a total of $50 in entry fees.  The total purse was something like $35 ($20-1st, $10-2nd & $5-3rd) that left $15 for the trophies that would be given out for the same race.  So the more racers the bigger the purse.  We have had a 4th race for trophy only no purse but it has been the winners of the other 3, kind of a king of the hill type thing.
Steven
Southern Thunder Racing
Abingdon, VA

Offline stvn_VA

• Gold Star
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 09:09:44 am »
Well dip stick (me) forgot the tape measure.  I did step off the front stretch at 130 steps which the best I come up with would be 330'-0" feet.  Took a truck around the track at the odometer read shy of 1/4" mile.  So the best I can tell you the track is about 1,000'-0" feet total.
Steven
Southern Thunder Racing
Abingdon, VA