Author Topic: Looking for a division  (Read 15857 times)

Offline jmiracle83

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2014, 11:00:46 pm »
Cool GRUBDIGGER got some parts ordered for the front suspension, that flipper had listed in his build  and working a deal out on wheels and tires. But I wanna make sure it's safe  so really doubt I'll have it ready to race by then. But really looking forward to to meeting everyone and checking out their mowchines.
Get any closer and I"ll flick ur visor!!!!
Jeremy Miracle  martinsville va

Offline GRUBDIGGER

• Custom Gear Picker
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a division
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2014, 03:14:15 pm »
YOU WILL LEARN ALOT BY LOOKING. EVERYONE WILL TALK TO YA.
JOHN HERRING
ARMA TECH
TRI-STATE RACING MOWER ASSC.
http://wwwtsrm.smfforfree.com/

Offline Flipper

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2014, 03:49:39 pm »
Should be NO front suspension at all.
We used a L100 push pull rack n Pinion steering system on our older STX-38's.......that was MAJOR fabrication, and took quite some time to make.

Look at Richard Miller's # 811 in Mod XR class, he has one of my old mowers. I believe he said he may be down there at Dublin.
Burgundy STX38 with hood scoop. Took Rick a little while to get the feel of it, he does very well now. The STX Chassis great for slower speed classes. The Drawback is a stamped one piece frame....if something goes wrong, the entire chassis has to be replaced, this is why we got away from making racers from this series and moved to the L100 series, or the older 160-180...that series was practically bullet proof. Grubdigger raced a 180 for more than 10 years.
Flipper
Maryland Mafia Mower Racing Team (The Sod Father) President
Mason Dixon Lawn Mower Racing Association Chief Technical Director 2016, 2017
Mason Dixon Lawn Mower Racing Association Vice President 2018
2008 BP 1st Place Champion Delmarva LMRA
2008 2nd Place Champion Super Sportsman - Tri State LMRA
2009 Delmarva LMRA Presidents Award
2012 2nd Place Champion Super Sportsman North East National Division ARMA
2013, 2014, 2015 BP 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA
2013 Mod-XR 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA
2014, 2015, 2016, Mod-XR-T 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA & VLMRA
2013, 2014, 2015 IMOW 1st Place Champion Mason Dixon LMRA
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017  Presidents Award for Excellence Mason
2017 North American ARMA National 1st Place Champion Mod-XR-T Class

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2014, 04:36:20 pm »
Should be NO front suspension at all.
We used a L100 push pull rack n Pinion steering system on our older STX-38's.......that was MAJOR fabrication, and took quite some time to make.

Look at Richard Miller's # 811 in Mod XR class, he has one of my old mowers. I believe he said he may be down there at Dublin.
Burgundy STX38 with hood scoop. Took Rick a little while to get the feel of it, he does very well now. The STX Chassis great for slower speed classes. The Drawback is a stamped one piece frame....if something goes wrong, the entire chassis has to be replaced, this is why we got away from making racers from this series and moved to the L100 series, or the older 160-180
series that were bulletproof.
Rack & Pinion wil not be legal in USLMRA ;)
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline jmiracle83

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2014, 04:57:56 pm »
Just ordered the bearings and bushings as well as 2 fan gears from a L100. And got custom spindles and axle under way. Been racing dirt cars for years and dad runs a fab shop so we gonna dig into. Just sold dirt car so got some $ to play with.

Offline jmiracle83

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2014, 05:01:39 pm »
Have an lt 155 but figured I'd take a stab at the free stx first  and save the other for a future build. Thanks for all the help and advise. Guys don't want to annoy anyone with all these questions, and I sure will try to meet up with Richard. Gonna go fire up the grinder and welder, lol wish me luck I think I'm gonna need it.:-[

Offline Flipper

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2014, 07:53:47 pm »
Rack & Pinion wil not be legal in USLMRA ;)

To the contrary..........
I am using the stock(slightly Modified) Rack and Pinion("Push -Pull") that comes with ALL John Deere L100 series mowers from 2002 to 2007. The LT100 Series and the older 160-170-180's used a similar Rack & pinion. One could also call these "Fan-Gears",  the parts book and service manual call them Rack & Pinion. I have raced 5 of these racers in USLRMA, all over the county since 2006 and it has never been an issue.

The Rack and Pinion that is illegal in USLMRA is the ARC aluminum box or JR Dragster Style R&P. Some of these were used on golf karts too.  

ARMA allows this steering system. It is also permitted with the Mason Dixon LMRA local rules.
If used, I recommend using a CV Boot Bellows on the sides if it does not come with one. A rock or stone can easily jam it up
without the boots, rendering it very unsafe in a high speed situation.

There was also a comment that Rack & Pinion was never used on a Factory Riding Mower. I recently spoke to one of John Deere's corporate lawyers in Washington DC who informed me that since 1999, Millions of these were made.(Push Pull R&P)

Have an lt 155 but figured I'd take a stab at the free stx first  and save the other for a future build. Thanks for all the help and advise. Guys don't want to annoy anyone with all these questions, and I sure will try to meet up with Richard. Gonna go fire up the grinder and welder, lol wish me luck I think I'm gonna need it.:-[

The LT 155 would be a better candidate, it has a much better robust frame than the STX and it can easily be made removable.
I use a LT160 & LT180 to cut grass with and they drive like Cadillac's.  Be very careful with the Hood on the LT's...it carries a very hefty price tag as with the STX's. The L100 is much lighter and the hood is cheaper(I have bought quite a few LOL!.)....and the L100's are a dime a dozen. Both have a decent wheelbase for racing. The STX series has a shorter wheelbase making them quite "Squirrely" at higher speeds.

Wish you lived closer........I am currently helping a local young ..."Jedi"... who comes from dirt racing background/family too. He is in GP(MODXR) class right now and running up front on a older custom John Deere 180.    Not saying what I am making is right, but it works form me and my team.....and you rarely ever see me pushing my mower off the track. ....well, the wife did push her racer off the track after she finished...ran out of gas....it was still my fault!
Flipper

Offline jmiracle83

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2014, 08:01:47 pm »
Well after complete disassembly of the stx I know understand what ur talking about, we're figuring on at least 240hrs+ shop time for building this one I. Wife won't let me use the 155 til end of summer when I buy a new one for grass cutting, though I do have a mtd I can maybe use. Decisions, decisions. I love the deere and s the stx reminds me of the mini sprint of the mower world..so guys let me hear ur vote mtd or long nights with the stx?

Offline jmiracle83

• View Profile
Re:
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2014, 08:12:38 pm »
Flipper that's why I reached out to you first every time I research stx you name seems to come up, and since I'm a rookie ur a vetern I figured what worked for you was a good start for me if I don't like it then it's only time and busted knuckles to change but thanks for ur patients with my barrage of stupid questions

Offline Flipper

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2014, 08:15:54 pm »
Well after complete disassembly of the stx I know understand what ur talking about, we're figuring on at least 240hrs+ shop time for building this one I. Wife won't let me use the 155 til end of summer when I buy a new one for grass cutting, though I do have a mtd I can maybe use. Decisions, decisions. I love the deere and s the stx reminds me of the mini sprint of the mower world..so guys let me hear ur vote mtd or long nights with the stx?

The STX is a real pain...trust me. Built 5 or 6 of them.....you should be able to pick up a L100 with a blown tranny or engine for next to nothing. Or look for a nice 160,165,170,175,180,185....those are tanks and are rock solid. I see them for couple hundred or less. Keep the LT 155 for grass cutting......The MTD is a viable candidate too.

No stupid questions my friend!....all good stuff here!
Flipper

Offline jmiracle83

• View Profile
Re: Re: Looking for a division
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2014, 08:24:51 pm »
Think I'll just put the stx back together and restore it may be worth something one day. And use the other since it's free. The buy a deere when I'm ready to move up and play with the big boys. Not sure what this mower is thought mtd but son painted camo and has no markings other than thus under seat

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2014, 08:48:07 pm »
http://www.letsmow.com/2014/03/use-of-rack-and-pinion-steering-on-uslmra-race-mowers/

Flipper you sure your not talking about a pinion & sector?
I don't remember  true rack & pinion, but you know Deeres WAY better than I do!
Bert stole my cookies!!

Offline Flipper

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2014, 07:17:26 am »
Deere actually calls this a rack in pinion....In reality it's a large fan gear with two tie rods tied to each spindle that is driven by a small drive gear at the end of the steering rod.

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r244/joeynahas839/IMOWDriveBeltTensioners.jpg

This is a L100 R&P that I mounted on a STX38 - Wife's old IMOW.
I don't believe this is what USLRMA is calling a R&P(the aftermarket Aluminum Gear Box).
This system has been run by many racers in over 20+ vehicles in the past 15 years(or more) in US....including Jayson & Jim Mikula whom perfected it, and gave me the idea.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

and just a note:
By no means am I questioning US's ruling on this. It is what it is... I learned my lesson in the past by questioning a rule.
Fact, I have seen and driven a vehicle(s) with the R&P Alum gearbox in question. I found it to be far superior than anything else I have tried in the past and I do like it. As far as it being used on a production grass cutter?, I don't know, and can't answer that.

Flipper

Offline jmiracle83

• View Profile
Re: Re: Looking for a division
« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2014, 10:12:47 am »
That's the set up I was wanting to use on my stx that's what I started order parts for just was not sure how much you extended the ears and thought u said something about making the teeth thicker? If I understood correctly

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2014, 10:20:19 am »
I guess what Deere calls a "rack" is what the rest of the world calls a "steering Sector" or "Sector gear"?
And you are correct, that is not what the USLMRA rules refers to as rack and pinion.

Doesn't that make changing a belt a real pain?
Bert stole my cookies!!