Author Topic: And some more  (Read 5849 times)

Offline The Stig

• View Profile
    • http://www.fastmower.co.uk
And some more
« on: January 12, 2006, 02:34:20 pm »
Here I am trying to avoid the softest cow pats at a meeting last year - it's not ALWAYS muddy!

Here's one showing our two types of Group 2 - on the left is a Group 2 roller, and my machine (#7) is a Group 2 Wheels. We only race these in the northern club (NWLMRA) They are not allowed in the southern club (BLMRA) as they come from a commercial rather than a domestic background.

Here's my mate John going for it on his Group 2 roller:

These are what we call group 3's - based on Westwood Lawnbugs and usually with a tecumseh 10 horse lump:

And this is what we call Group 4 - more like what you guys will recognise.

Here's a closer pic of my old group 2 roller so you can see underneath - that's a metal roller underneath with tyre tread bolted to it - it's not what you'd call a smooth ride!! When the track gets rough you feel every little bump - though these are actually a lot lighter to drive than the Group 2 wheels. The Scag (#7) weighs in at something in the region of 140kg without me on it.

Andy
WLMRA #7 - The Stig
Group 2W Champion 2005
www.fastmower.co.uk

Offline mowdak1

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • North Dakota Lawn Mower Racing Association
And some more
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2006, 07:27:03 pm »
For the sake of all scratching their head wondering how many pounds 140kg is... that would be about 308 lbs.

Definitely an interesting ride, can imagine that one would be a bit harsh on a rough track, with metal rollers!!

Offline The Stig

• View Profile
    • http://www.fastmower.co.uk
And some more
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2006, 03:14:53 pm »
To be honest, on a good track they're not all that uncomfortable - the trailing seats usually have suspension and that improves things a lot. Where you do feel it is on rough tracks - although the handlebars are mounted on rubber bushes, because there's no shock absorption at all in the roller, when it's jumping around on rough ground you really feel it when it lands hard!

At the end of the day though it's "proper" mower racing - these are the only machines English people actually recognise as a mower. They usually call the group 3's go karts, and Group 4's are not what the majority of English gardens get their lawns cut with, and group 2 Wheels look more like something from the Mad Max movies!!
WLMRA #7 - The Stig
Group 2W Champion 2005
www.fastmower.co.uk

anything