Author Topic: new here need help  (Read 3991 times)

Offline Seth Rose

• View Profile
new here need help
« on: June 04, 2014, 07:04:45 pm »
Hey guys ive got and opposed twin not sure what model because the guy before me got rid of the numbers on the shroud I was wondering how to id this thing also I see everyone talking about oiling modifications anyone got a link to those? And one last thing im wanting to put a bigger cam in it but cant seem to find one im sure the engine is the 18 or 19 horse model anyone know of a good cam for it and maybe a set of heads? One of mine is cracked.

Offline Jeff McKelroy

• Professor Ducky
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: new here need help
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 08:06:27 pm »
Hey guys ive got and opposed twin not sure what model because the guy before me got rid of the numbers on the shroud I was wondering how to id this thing also I see everyone talking about oiling modifications anyone got a link to those? And one last thing im wanting to put a bigger cam in it but cant seem to find one im sure the engine is the 18 or 19 horse model anyone know of a good cam for it and maybe a set of heads? One of mine is cracked.

The best way to tell what engine would be to take it apart and measure.  There should be numbers cast onto the cylinder heads, saying "MOD42" or "MOD46" on them, but don't take that as an absolute either.  There were two different bores as well, either a 3.42" OR 3.57" bore.  The connecting rods can sometimes be a clue as well, they will have numbers cast into them....

as far as finding things on heymow, click on the search button on the left, it's better.

As far as camshafts, Tim Isky makes superior camshafts for the opposed. Again, use the search button for his info, it's in here somewhere.

Finally, as far as cylinder heads, there is some controversy as to which set is best. But here's what I've learned.  For mostly stock and a few mods, the "MOD46" heads work best, and the transfer port has some minor differences to compensate. However, I have found that if you can make the poor beast live at a higher RPM, the "MOD42" head is better.

Offline Seth Rose

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2014, 02:08:58 pm »
So I have the smaller 3.42 bore and the heads are the mod 42 as for the rods they have a 81 on them.  Ive searcherd dverything and cant find the oiling mods anywhere.  Anyone have the part numbers forethe mod 46 heads? And is the mod 46 cam better to just a thought? Im not looking to break the bank here I did a port he intake and exhaust and if I can find a set of used mod46 heads and cam thatd be cool rather than buying pricey new ones

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Winning is always fair!!
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2014, 03:13:03 pm »
Bert stole my cookies!!
 I think he used them to bribe Ed into something naughty?

http://www.cutlooseracing.com

Offline Seth Rose

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2014, 08:32:17 pm »
Thank you very much!

Offline Jeff McKelroy

• Professor Ducky
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2014, 09:10:10 am »
So I have the smaller 3.42 bore and the heads are the mod 42 as for the rods they have a 81 on them.  Ive searcherd dverything and cant find the oiling mods anywhere.  Anyone have the part numbers forethe mod 46 heads? And is the mod 46 cam better to just a thought? Im not looking to break the bank here I did a port he intake and exhaust and if I can find a set of used mod46 heads and cam thatd be cool rather than buying pricey new ones

If it isn't equipped with an oil filter, you have a 42_707.  The third digit is not there because there were so many different ones, but you could safely assume a 42A707.

The heads are most likely no longer available new.  Keep in mind it's been around 14 years since this engine was produced.  You'll just have to look around for some.

As far as cams go -- If you are wanting to use a stock cam, don't do more 'porting' than cleaning up sharp edges.  The best thing you can do is find the "Big Iron" manifold off the 16hp twin.  I personally am a fan of the 2-piece aluminum manifold.  Both of these will breathe better. But I digress. Yes, the 46 cam is a bit better as far as lift, but I would recommend you contacting Precision Cams. They make a good entry-level camshaft.

Offline Seth Rose

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 03:20:37 pm »
No oil filter so I guess that makes it kinda obvious what it is and I found some heads.  Im not wanting to spend a crap ton on a cam im only gonna run this thing a few times but thank you very much for all the input ive got one more question though when reinstalling the cam I assume that lining up the dots is how you make sure its in time?

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 03:27:43 pm »
No oil filter so I guess that makes it kinda obvious what it is and I found some heads.  Im not wanting to spend a crap ton on a cam im only gonna run this thing a few times but thank you very much for all the input ive got one more question though when reinstalling the cam I assume that lining up the dots is how you make sure its in time?
Define "a crap ton".....dollar per pony, cams are cheap?

Yup, line up the dots.
Bert stole my cookies!!

Offline Seth Rose

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 04:10:14 pm »
Lol ya ya I know less than a 100 bucks is what id like to spend on a cam also anyone ever hook a tac up to one of these? Since im not running a governor id like to keep the thing revving in the right kinda area and I plan on putting a throttle stop to do that

Offline Rooster

• Global Pot Stirrer
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
    • Cut Loose Racing
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2014, 07:14:39 am »
Throttle stop will not control revs, takes a rev limiter or governor to do that.
Search for tach, most if us are running one.

Redline has some in the for sale section at pretty good price right now.
Bert stole my cookies!!

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2014, 05:53:49 pm »
THERE ARE SOME OPPYS WITHOUT AN OIL FILTER AND ARE PRESSURE LUBED. LOOK AT THE OIL PAN AND IF THERE IS A SMALL BOLT ON COVER IT IS A PRESSURE LUBE NO FILTER. THEY ARE RARE BUT OUT THERE.
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline Seth Rose

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2014, 07:33:39 pm »
No its got an oil slinger but thanks for all the advice guys youve been a huge help

Offline willenglish

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 10:08:43 am »
If you arent planning on running this engine for long term....why even invest in an aftermarket cam. Id get rid of the motor and find me a good used OHV single. They are faster anyway.  And sound oh so much better!
William L. English, jr.