Author Topic: Spec Class  (Read 6720 times)

Offline Eric (Moose) Mossow

• View Profile
Re: Spec Class
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 09:56:15 pm »
For me the fact that each build is personal is what brought me to this sport. At the same time I know that is what is keeping many away who are interested in it. I love having the freedom of building what I think is the best mower. Others don't have either the ability or access to what is needed to fabricate a race mower. I don't see anyone ready to take on the risk of developing a spec mower to sell and with good reason. Maybe someone will. It would be interesting to see. You would almost need a (mower) factory backed operation in order to keep each machine identical spec wise.

Lester
I think lester hit this nail on the head here. the only way to do a spec class, is to have a large number of identical mowers to build. don't get me wrong here the spec aspect of racing seams very appealing to a new comer. but let me tell u what I have experienced with spec racing. I have raced r/c cars for quite a few years now and every single spec class I have seen has failed there are always guys using motors that have been modified. batteries that have been gutted and better cells put in. it never ends, and it always ends up with someone getting mad because they know they are legal, and they are getting there :censored: kicked by someone who is cheating. and I have seen people get sick of it and just get out of the hobby all together and that is something no one wants.
103 pro stock
103 pro/super mod
21 mod x... oppy power....
driver builder and owner of Mossow Mowersports
2015 nnylmr championship pro mod 3rd place

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 10:57:36 pm »

Number one rule in lawnmower racing: There is no one enforcing the rules.

Bert

Unless you run handle bars and make the FX class competitive again.......
Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline 2nstoys

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 08:40:32 pm »
Spec class? Cheat class. I have a certain set of skills, that when needed, allow me to wreak devastation upon the innocent and unsuspecting. And I would run that spec class. Tear me down? Hah, tear  everyone down. That'll be real popular when it's beer time.

Number one rule in lawnmower racing: There is no one enforcing the rules.

Bert

That may be at some tracks.

I run tech at our track and I do enforce the rules. I know these engines inside and out and can tell you that the people we run with will not try and cheat. If I find one that tries to push the rules I tell them to fix it or they are not racing. I have the time , the beer,and the tools in my trailer if needed. Just ask anyone in our club if I would do it. I know I have DQ'ed almost averyone at one time or another for something in these classes.
Glenn VanEpps
#14M
2013 USLMRA FXT 2nd place
2013 PSSLMRA FXT Champion
2012 US Open Points Champion FXT Open Twin
2012 MILMRA BP Points Champion
2012 MILMRA FXT Points Champion

Offline berthyd

• Turf Warrior
  • Voted of the Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 09:00:18 pm »
Glenn, question #1. Do you do a full tech at the end of every race day? On every mower? If not people are cheating. Question #2. Do you know the stock cam numbers for every make and model of mower engine running in your stock classes? If you do, you're pretty smart because engine companies do not publish this info. Question #3. Not that I am insinuating anything, but who techs your equipment? Not saying you ever cheated, but it does open up the real possibility.

I maybe was born at night, but it wasn't last night. I've been around racing in general almost my entire life. I've been in lawn mower racing before there was a USLMRA (24 years). Racers cheat. Maybe not all of them, but enough of them do. I can name names of people who cheat(ed) in mower racing, and I can tell you what they did. And you would know some of them.

To deny that there is cheating is lunacy.

Bert
Gary Busey and Rick James both used to live in my shop. Redline stole them.

Offline more4les

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • FatBoyZ Racing - Mowin' Down the Competition!
    • View Profile
    • Northern  NY Lawn Mower Racing
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 01:16:03 pm »
I maybe was born at night, but it wasn't last night. I've been around racing in general almost my entire life. I've been in lawn mower racing before there was a USLMRA (24 years). Racers cheat. Maybe not all of them, but enough of them do. I can name names of people who cheat(ed) in mower racing, and I can tell you what they did. And you would know some of them.

To deny that there is cheating is lunacy.

Bert

Just remember the #1 rule in any racing....It is only cheating IF you get caught. I was taught that by my uncles who raced dirt when I was a toddler. It is also why I try to keep my racing within the more modified classes. I do run a Junior just to keep the numbers (in the class) up but keep that one 100% on the up and up as well as the ModX we run (also built to try and garner interest in the class). If these were the only class I had you can bet you'd better bring a team of tech's to find my "edge".

Lester
2012 & 2014 Sportsman Champion (Builder/Owner), 2013 2nd.
2011 - 2014 Pro-Mod Champion, 2011, 2014 2nd Builder/Owner
2008-2013 Pro-Stock Champion (2009-13 Builder/Owner)
2007 Pro-Mod Champion
Founder of NNYLMR
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/NNYLMR/
Front Yard Chassis
Impact Racing Engines
http://www.facebook.com/groups/NNYLMR/
SKYPE ME: more4les

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 01:28:47 pm »
Do I dare bring up another spec class, IMCA. That worked in to a "buy rule", and nobody wants that!! That class turned into who has the most money class and we DON'T need that.
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2014, 01:56:07 pm »
Bert really wanted to race the IROC series, but they would not let him enter his Pinto.
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline berthyd

• Turf Warrior
  • Voted of the Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2014, 06:41:39 pm »
They would not let me run my Pinto because of the performance advantage I had. Remember, this was IROC, It's Really Only a Camaro.

Bert
Gary Busey and Rick James both used to live in my shop. Redline stole them.

anything