Author Topic: model and code help please 14.5 briggs ohv  (Read 2369 times)

Offline BIGSEXY158

• IT IS WHAT IT IS ,JUST HAVE FUN DOING IT
    • View Profile
model and code help please 14.5 briggs ohv
« on: February 10, 2014, 07:16:19 pm »
so I have been searching on here and cant seem to locate the help I need. I have a 14.5 briggs ohv, almost positive this isnt the original cover and when I am looking up new pistons and rings I am finding the code determines wich piston (choice between 2) I need. can anyone tell me the difference in the two? I am going to bore the cylinder so I am curious how much this "code" affects me. any help will be appreciated. I have numbers stamped on the piston but was told by the local rep they were of no use. also no other shrouds are present on the motor and it does not have the original valve cover.thanks guys
TRAVIS,BIG SEXY\\\'S DRIVER

Offline 2nstoys

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: model and code help please 14.5 briggs ohv
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 07:18:58 pm »
I would compare the rod, wrist pin #s and see if they are the same between the 2 different pistons. Other than that 1 might be a coated piston.
Glenn VanEpps
#14M
2013 USLMRA FXT 2nd place
2013 PSSLMRA FXT Champion
2012 US Open Points Champion FXT Open Twin
2012 MILMRA BP Points Champion
2012 MILMRA FXT Points Champion

Offline BIGSEXY158

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 07:26:41 pm »
the wrist pin #s are different depending on the piston but not sure about the rod.ill have to check that. that was my biggest concern was making sure my rod would work.
went back and checked and it looks as though the rods are different also :bash: short of ordering both pistons and hoping they take returns I have no clue.

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 08:03:04 am »
Is this for a stock rebuild? If not, just use the AVS piston, rings and pin with the ARC rod. Use that stock rod for a paperweight.
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline BIGSEXY158

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 09:26:14 am »
I already have the arc rod. going to have to go 20 over for this rebuild so im trying to locate the necessary piston and rings.as far as the avs goes,will this piston work with either date code? I guess the date code is just confusing me on what the difference is in the parts

Offline Old Goat

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Juniata County Outlaws Mower Racing Club
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 07:10:43 pm »
As far as I know, all the wrist pins are the same diameter, but I've seen a  couple of different lengths, depending on what piston you have. Briggs made about 15 gazillion different width of rings, which is why the code is so important. If you buy an AVS piston and the matching wrist pin, the rings should be included in the box with the piston. Just save the box, with the part number, in case you ever want to order another set of rings. Briggs pistons come in standard bore and .020 over. Make sure you have the long ARC rod.
Jim Klauss
Boogity Boogity boys, let's go racin'
http://jcomrc.com/