Author Topic: Mini Late Models  (Read 6661 times)

Offline carolinablue

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Mini Late Models
« on: December 15, 2013, 10:47:29 am »
Just thought I would bring up some conversation about the mini's they were in another topic here and some interesting things were being said and I enjoyed reading them.  I personaly race a mini and love it and best of all its safer. Don't get me wrong I like racing mower's as well I just fell safer in a mini.  As to looking disproportioned I have to agree but they were designed to be cost effective, 8" tires 16-750-8 lawn mower tires all the way around. Vertical shaft motors are easier to find and easier to set up the drive train. The stock class runs inteks only because there cheap.  As far as the chassis its very similar to a mower grasscar front axle with an arc rack pinion steering, Rear axle is live just like a mower build, ragb is used with a star clutch. The biggest difference is 48" width and the wheelbase.  I personally think they would look better with 18-10-10 tires on the rear but our rules don't allow that. Anyone can start there own club and change the rules to suit them such as bigger wheels and tires even racing tires . As far as a horiz shaft it would be tight but I think it could work.  What I can tell you the modified's are a blast to drive they light the tires up all the time you have to pedal the throttle and that's what I enjoy.
William Glass jr

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
Re: Mini Late Models
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 02:08:47 pm »
You can be proportional and look good and use 8" mower tires. Look up the cyclone. While it uses a gx390 the mout and bolt holes are same as a horizontal simply pull the 390 out add a twin and exhaust and bam you got a thrill ride that looks GOOD!!!! I dont see why one would think a vertical is easier to build and set up than a horizontal but then again its just an opinion. But after looking at a cyclone ya gotta admit they are SHARP. And although I have not found a single picture or anything on them Talladega short track (the kart track) runs mini late models that you sit more up right like yall do and not laid back like the cyclones (again I know I drove one) they also use 8" wheels and from a distance they look just like the real thing They run a suspended class and a non suspended class. As for being like a mower the only thing mower about them (meaning yalls) is drive line tires and motor. While many parts are used it simply isnt. Dont think I am pickin them apart. I like them. And being I run a super Mod twin the next level for me would be one of these I just cannot get past the looks. They look like a fair ride toy or something.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline RFMotorsports

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 03:32:58 pm »
Not knowing what they were, I looked em up on youtube. They look like a blast to drive! I would totally rock one 8)
Luke Rakoske

CDLMRO
Rakoske Family Motorsports
33R Modified-Luke Rakoske (2014 Big Block Stock Class Champion, 2015 Modified Champion)
x59 Superstock-Steve Hickey (2015 Big Block Stock Class Champion)
Sponsors:
AMSOIL
Boca Bearing
All Brand Cleaners & Sewing Center LLC
Badmixie's Good Deal Outlet
Bandit Custom Cycles
Smith's Collision
Mike McGill Trucking Inc.
S&H Bicycle Store
J&T Enterprises
Papa's Fix-it Shop

Offline carolinablue

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 04:12:25 pm »
George do you have a picture of a cyclone?   I said vertical engines are easier to find not to build. The way the driveline is setup its simple.  A horizontal probally would have to use a jackshaft but I don't think that would be a big problem.  We would love to come to some different tracks but as you know the problem is the cost of traveling gas ,rooms , etc.  George I would love to let ya take some laps in one they are simply a blast.  I did really like my super but I can honestly say I think I like this better.  I'm not trying to promote these cars I'm simply just saying how much fun and safe they are.  I enjoy comments for improvements we are simply just trying to keep the costs affordable and the car simple.
William Glass jr

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2013, 06:29:37 pm »
http://www.latemodelracer.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1324263840/0 A couple in this article they are both suspension cars but dang guys build your chassis rigid and so you can use this type body work looks so much better and would be ten times no 100 times more appealing.
Page 1 and 4 has a picture of a car page 4 also has some links to you footage they use a 390 but like i said a horizontal twin will bolt right in.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline cycloneracer

• Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • Easy Parcheesy!!!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2013, 07:55:34 pm »
My next ride will be a car.   Not sure if circle track or a drag car.   

Paul Krueger

****2017 USLMRA FXT points Champion****

#150 Worlds First "sidewinder" FX (now dismantled)

#150 FXT  Sponsored by Zach Kerber Machine. http://zkbrmachine.com/

Easy Parcheesy Racing

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2013, 10:14:43 pm »
I drove a late model back in 81 before I went to Germany. Aint been in one since. Tested a couple here and there but never really drove one again. Always wanted to but found the mowers and never looked back. Besides I am getting older now the skill sets aint what they used to be. I would like a mini late model if they looked good mainly cause I think the expense once I have it wouldnt be no worse than the mowers. Well reskinning them would or could get expensive. But starting over getting something new going again in my area heck I just dont have it in me anymore. Not to start over. And buying a new ride out right I just cannot do that anymore either.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP

Offline carolinablue

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2013, 08:00:42 am »
George I just watched the videos and the build video . I agree the proportions look good but I'm quite sure they have 10" wheels and the seat leans way back like a go cart. There using American racer tires like we ran on micro sprint's that's actually what I used on my super. They do look good

William Glass jr

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2013, 08:35:58 am »
They are 8" Wheels I had found a web site that sold them that had s parts listing. And yes they are more laid back but the looks far out weigh that. To me anyways. The point though is it can be done and you sit straighter because the one I drove in talladega I sit up in and it was on 8's and looked just as good. I think y'all got something good but it can be improved on. If it were morewide spread and one fell into my lap I would not say no. I just cannot afford to start over from the ground up. And if I do it's gotta look better.
Another examPle the slingshot use 8's mower tires and you sit up. This is the chassis the guys at talladega based theirs on some are suspended some not. If one could get their dimensions.
George Herrin #6
Retired from BP