Author Topic: Question for the veteran auto mechanics  (Read 6245 times)

Offline Stroker

• View Profile
Question for the veteran auto mechanics
« on: January 12, 2014, 04:06:38 pm »
I have been working in a garage as an auto technician for almost five years now. I have worked in several shops and they have all been independent.I have always wanted to have my own shop one day but I know it can be tough especially with the way the economy is now. We are extremely slow at work right now and I have been looking for a new job. I have a job offer from a dealership now with a decent hourly pay on flat rate and good benefits. They stay very busy and I can probably turn good hours. However they want somebody to come and stay long term. I like the job security but don't really like the idea of working for somebody the rest of my career. Since day one I have been geared towards running a shop as far as the tools that I buy. I have a good amount of diagnostic equipment and specialty tools that will never be used again if I go to the dealership. My question is should I go to the dealership and settle down or should I try to find another independent shop and work there for a few more years while I get some more money saved up? For the guys that run a shop, is it worth it? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Offline RFMotorsports

• View Profile
Re: Question for the veteran auto mechanics
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 05:09:01 pm »
I have worked in a few shops in my lifetime. Mostly doing oddball stuff along with some minor mechanical work. Both independent and dealership shops. The owner of the independent started his shop after having left a dealership. His shop is very successful. One of the techs that I used to work with at a dealership left and opened up his own one man shop close to where I live. His buisness is growing and he loves not having to compete with other techs for jobs.
My own opinion is I would rather work for myself then for anybody else.
Luke Rakoske

CDLMRO
Rakoske Family Motorsports
33R Modified-Luke Rakoske (2014 Big Block Stock Class Champion, 2015 Modified Champion)
x59 Superstock-Steve Hickey (2015 Big Block Stock Class Champion)
Sponsors:
AMSOIL
Boca Bearing
All Brand Cleaners & Sewing Center LLC
Badmixie's Good Deal Outlet
Bandit Custom Cycles
Smith's Collision
Mike McGill Trucking Inc.
S&H Bicycle Store
J&T Enterprises
Papa's Fix-it Shop

Offline MowJoe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 05:50:13 pm »
Stroker, The dealership will always want someone to stay long term it is costly to hire someone just to have them quit. You say you want to open your own shop which I think is a great idea and you should do it. I have had my own shop and it was the best job I ever had. I worked more hours for less pay but it was mine and I loved doing it. I have worked for several dealerships (Heavy Equipment) and I will tell you this they all wanted someone for the long term. I never quit any of them but I also never worked more than 8 years at one. So take my advice as you want but do what works for you. Don't worry about the dealership they can take care of themselves. If I were in your shoes and know what I know I would write down a plan for when I'm opening. If it's more than a year down the road then I would work for the dealership and use that time to gain more knowledge about running the shop. If it"s only a few months I would just start it now on the side and start building the customer base. I wise man told me 2 thing when I started my shop. 1 don't go into debt to do it, debt = risk. and 2 do a business plan because a business with out a plan is a plan to fail.
Good luck
Joe
J & K Yard & Sport, and used parts emporium.
Home of Mowjoe racing
Former President of the Barry County Grass Clippers
2010 Sportsman Points Winner W/ Grass Clippers
2011 Mod-x Points Winner W/ Grass Clippers

#55 JD 111 GPK
#05 AYP Gp
#67 Snapper Mod-x/CP 

When the green flag drops the Bull stops!

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 07:29:02 pm »
VERY, VERY WELL PUT JOE! I have worked for dealerships, [Chrysler] and some national service chains [Midas] and a several independents. I do like the independents better, you have some freedom.If I was working for anything but an independent going through my cancer I my not have come out of it either with a job or deep in the poor house. If you have the drive GO FOR I! Building a customer base is the most important thing you can do! A lot of businesses start in the family garage and built from there. Don't sell your equipment, us it at home! You will never get your money out of it so why not make more money with it at home! The dealership is a great learning place! You will learn what will be coming down the road when you become an independent. The aftermarket is about 5 to 10 years behind depending on your area. Meanwhile keep an eye out for a building in a good spot at a good price to buy or rent. Another piece of advice "take a small business how to class". Owners will never tell you everything there is to know about how and what you need to know. The feds and states have their own thoughts on what they want (the class can help with this). Last thought don't be scared away go for it head on but think it out! GOOD LUCK! and Have fun at it! 
Where are you at?
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline westcoast racer

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 06:03:04 pm »
I worked for myself for 10 years as a wholesale auto parts supplier.  I supplied both dealerships and independent garages.  Having your own shop is great.  However, you must plan for the future in a lot of ways.  First, you have to stay up to date with both knowledge and equipment.  Second, you must put cash away or invest it for retirement.  Third, you must have an exist strategy.  Your shop must be big enough to allow an employee to buy you out over time or large and successful enough for some one else to buy.  I watched a lot of shops come and go.  The ones that are still in business and successful have all told me this was the key to surviving; developing customer loyalty.  Loyal customers will stay with you and pay good money a long as they feel they are getting the service they need.  Never try to compete and gain a customer on price.  If they came on price they will leave on price regardless.  Start developing a customer list now.  Whatever number you come up with now, figure on 5 times that many to survive and last longer than 2 years in business.  Also work close with a business planner.  Very few good mechanics are good businessmen, no differently than saying good businessmen make good mechanics.  It takes a different mind set to be a businessman.  I knew a lot of good mechanics that were not good businessman and left dealerships to work for themselves.  Needless to say they are working for dealerships again.  Best of luck which ever way you good.  Both options have pros and cons.  You will have to weigh them out.
Dan Borba

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 03:13:45 pm »
Another very well put! Also I might add, try not to partner up with anyone. It only half the time works. To many decisions to be made that can lead to an argument. The partnerships I have seen work, one does well with people and, the other is a real good mechanic. I also believe this way of business we have all talked about works for most any small business not just cars. I feel the best way to make anything work is, love what you do and do it smart! Think it through with a plan and a goal!

Offline Stroker

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 06:13:22 pm »
Thanks for the responses. All of that is good advice. I am still on the fence between the dealership or another independent. I have also been looking for some vacant garages for lease but I don't know if I am quite ready to go full on buy myself yet as I don't have a big enough customer base or near as much money saved up  as I would like to support myself if things got slow. If I was to get my own shop I would be the sole owner and would probably work there by myself until things got going good and I knew I could afford another guy and have enough work to keep him busy. The business classes are a good idea and I am looking into that. As for the business plan, what should be considered into that?

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 09:53:28 pm »
Have you looked into what the insurance rates are these days on opening your own shop?

I worked at an independent shop for 4 years, now at a dealership for the last 16. I have had quite a few calls and offers from independent shops over the years, but none of them offered the training, benefits, or even close to the pay I am getting at the dealership. Plus, having factory support helps. Of course, warranty rate sucks as does some of the work, but I deal with that as it comes.
Ed King

71.3% of the time, I'm right every time.

/>http://www.youtube.com/user/tawdew

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 09:57:09 pm »
I ALWAYS DID LIKE WORKING ON NEW STUFF AT THE DEALERSHIP! ITS CLEAN, NO RUST! LOL

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 10:00:32 pm »
Pah! I'm in Wisconsin. Babies are born with rust on them here! plus with the longer power train warranties, we are still doing warranty work on older stuff. Plus a lot of regular customers who bring in their older stuff as well. I tear into just as many 90's model Cadillacs as I do 2000 and newer...

I love me some Northstar's

And the ever popular 5.3 pistons and rings!

Ed King

Offline rotten ron

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 04:17:38 am »
I have been rebuilding a Northstar for a couple of weeks,got the bottom end all together but it takes quite a while to port the heads with 4 valves per cylinder also making head studs has taken some time too,I honed the cylinders with 600 grit stones and with all the pistons in it with new rings it only takes 20 foot pounds to turn it,that is as low as my torque wrench goes

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 06:51:29 am »
There is a company out of Canada that makes a nice head stud kit for these that I have used in the past. I am also told that ARP has studs that will work, they just don't list them for that application, but if you call them, they can set you up.
They are actually pretty good engines, if you can keep the crankcase halves from leaking oil, and the head gaskets from rotting out due to degraded coolant...

Ron, did you end up putting studs on the mains also? If nothing else, at least put the Time-sert thread inserts in there, as they like to pull the threads out of the block. I was told they used long bolts on the mains and heads, with deep bolt holes and the threads at the bottom to cause minimal distortion when under load, but any electralosys plays havoc with the integrity of the threads.
Which heads did you start with, the vin code 9, or vin code y? There was a slight difference in them between the 2.
Ed King

Offline rotten ron

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 07:56:17 pm »
I don't know the vin but it is a 97 Eldorado ,300 HP,didn't do anything to the mains except for new bearings,the head bolts were the problem,I made studs from B 12 5/8" threaded rod with 7/16" fine thread on the top,I drilled the block out and tapped it 5/8 coarse and put in the studs with 2 1/8" of thread in the block ,still working on the heads so it won't run for some time as this is not the only engine I am working on

Offline redline

• # I BROKE IT
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2014, 09:13:03 am »
You may want to do something with the mains as I have had just as many pull the threads on them as the heads.
Ed King

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2014, 01:47:52 pm »
AROUND HERE AS SOON AS THE WARRANTY IS UP THE DEALERS DON'T GET THEM ANYMORE! YOU CAN'T SWING A DEAD CAT WITHOUT HITTING AT LEAST 2 AUTO REPAIR SHOPS! AND YES WE HAVE RUST AND A LOT OF POT HOLES TOO!