Author Topic: Kohler Single 490cc Mild Build Help  (Read 8744 times)

Offline tractorbuds

• View Profile
Kohler Single 490cc Mild Build Help
« on: November 14, 2013, 06:01:12 am »
Here's what I have. CV492S

MWSC: new style aluminum flywheel, springs, retainers, racing hyd lifters, copper gasket.

Going to run stock internals, fresh rings, valve job, clean up the head a bit, for a season and go from there.

I am wondering if I am better of running a small block head to increase compression or just shaving the existing head? If shaved, how much? If I do go with a long rod and piston combo next year, I don't want to find myself in a situation where the head has been shaved too much to handle the new displacement.

Also, I've been told not to exceed 6000 rpm on stock internals, what compression number should I be aiming for?

Finally, am I going to get away with running the stock carb, reworking fuelling, or am I better of switching to something else? Gotta stay on a budget though.

Thanks for your help. Just trying something different than B&S for the heck of it!

Offline Burton for Certain

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kohler Single 490cc Mild Build Help
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 10:26:11 am »
Hydraulic lifters will keep it from going over 6,000. Weakest link is the cam if ya doing anything crazy with it. small block head is fine.  Find a carb off an old k series kohler single.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

Nichols Performance Inc. For the tractor pulling
"Bad Company" PS/SS
"Triple Play" Open Super Stock Diesel

Small Engines Of Seymour High Performance Camshafts (Greg Hackman) 8125225577

Offline Cromwell C4

• Turf Warrior
  • Jesus is our savior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 11:01:40 am »
The stock balancer is also a weak point. Don't go any higher than 6k rpm with that in there, or it will be a time bomb for sure. Put the right parts in one of these and it will be a front runner.
Tyler Cromwell - Cromwell Racing Engines - Specializing in Briggs Vanguard and Kohler Command V-twin engines, and Honda/Clone singles from mild to wild! Built to win, Engineered to last.

-Cromwell Racing engines and parts are home to numerous national championship titles and fastest qualifying times.

-Love God, Love Others -

Offline tractorbuds

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 05:26:14 pm »
So use a small block head instead of shaving? Or, is one going to be way better than the other?

Also, on the K series carb, I assume I'm looking for one to gain fuel mixture adjustment? Is it a direct blt on?

Sorry for al the questions and thanks very much for your advice.

Rods, JR

Offline Mowerstompin

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 06:55:14 am »
The carb you want is a kohler carter #30 off the kohler k series motors.
Cody Whisenhunt #83

Offline Cromwell C4

• Turf Warrior
  • Jesus is our savior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 10:25:58 am »
I would just use the head you have. Clean up the ports and do a really good valve job. And yes the #30 carb is the one to use. They can be hard to find but i was able to get a few new ones. 8) A Tillotson HR would be best but not sure if your rules allow that or what class you are building it for.
Tyler Cromwell - Cromwell Racing Engines - Specializing in Briggs Vanguard and Kohler Command V-twin engines, and Honda/Clone singles from mild to wild! Built to win, Engineered to last.

-Cromwell Racing engines and parts are home to numerous national championship titles and fastest qualifying times.

-Love God, Love Others -

Offline valleeracing

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 01:37:03 pm »
What are you guys doing to remove the balance shaft?
Brent

4 feature wins 2011
5 heat wins 2011

Offline tractorbuds

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 04:51:37 pm »
I wasn't planning to do anything to the bottom end at all, just running stock internals with fresh rings. I realize I am going to have to watch how high I rev it, and I'll play it safe. We run the Honda too, really nice torque, so we don't have to get too concerned about making them scream.

Offline tractorbuds

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 07:11:23 am »
Hey guys, what are your feelings about the aftermarket #30 carbs on ebay? Anyone tried these.....I have had my fair share of grief with old carbs, sinking time and money into them and unfortunately have nothing on the shelf to start with so I'm in a situation where I have to spend money. For my application, an $80 aftermarket carb is looking pretty intriguing. Your advice appreciated.

Offline Jeff McKelroy

• Professor Ducky
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 09:02:45 pm »
Hey guys, what are your feelings about the aftermarket #30 carbs on ebay? Anyone tried these.....I have had my fair share of grief with old carbs, sinking time and money into them and unfortunately have nothing on the shelf to start with so I'm in a situation where I have to spend money. For my application, an $80 aftermarket carb is looking pretty intriguing. Your advice appreciated.

No midrange for roundy-round.  for pulling, they work great.  I have two new ones, sans choke if you're still interested in one.

Offline tractorbuds

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2013, 09:15:52 pm »
I am running this old Walbro LUA carb from an Onan on my 35 ci Vanguard, a direct bolt on for horz application, simple mixture adjustment and I am half tempted to fab an intake a just try it on the Kohler.

Offline Cromwell C4

• Turf Warrior
  • Jesus is our savior!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2013, 10:06:14 pm »
The OEM kohler #30 carbs work great for pulling and racing. That's what I would use if rules wouldn't allow a Tillotson.

-Love God, Love Others -

Offline tractorbuds

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2013, 01:53:56 am »
OK. I'll get on the hunt for one.

Offline tractorbuds

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 08:44:49 pm »
Hey guys, I suppose I can call MWSC, but what should I be torque ing the head to when using a copper gasket?

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2013, 12:56:15 pm »
Copper headgasket and fire ring from MWSC, 30 foot pounds
Zach Burwell
#555 of Triple Nickel Racing

Wanna know a quick way to lose 8 pounds?!