Author Topic: Clutch/ breaks help!!  (Read 6050 times)

Offline Theharrisboy

• View Profile
Clutch/ breaks help!!
« on: October 23, 2013, 12:46:50 pm »
Ok so first off I am new to this. This is my first lawn mower build, an the original chassis had the clutch on the left an break on the right. With redoing the clutch an breaks for e.c can I put the clutch back on the left or does it need to be moved?

Offline doingood

• View Profile
Re: Clutch/ breaks help!!
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 01:07:10 pm »
I have seen them both ways but I would have the clutch on the right and brakes on the left since your right foot will be planted keeping you in place. Your left foot is free to use the brake. What class & organization are you building for?
I can run with the big dogs while staying on the porch

Offline The Tank

• Highly Mowtivated
  • #44 Tank Racing!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 02:32:26 pm »
I've ran both setups. You will be ahead of the game by mounting the brakes on the left side of mower. You would be surprised at how much you will lose on the track.
Frank "The Tank" Woods

AKA "The Intek Outlaw"

Offline Theharrisboy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 05:30:42 pm »
I'm building it for the vlmra an for class I'm undecided as it didn't have a motor when I got it so I'm still in the search for that. 

Offline mowdivator

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 09:48:23 pm »
Well said tank ..but you only use the brakes when your not in the lead ..when your leading its gas all the way..inless there's a caution that comes out..

Offline willenglish

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 10:08:25 am »
You only use the brakes when you are not in the lead? Every track I've been to you use your brakes every lap..especially when leading. Unless its somewhere you can flatfoot it every lap...anyway...you can engineer your mower any way you are comfortable...and what works for you. Most are built with the brake on the left and clutch on the right...but I have seen some built the opposite way that have been very competitive. I have also seen brake on the left...accelerator on the right...and clutch on the steering wheel. That was a very good set up.
William L. English, jr.

Offline shadetree57

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 08:37:26 am »
We have our brake and clutch side by side on the left side with the accelerator on the right. Leaves your hands free to do what they need to be doing. DRIVING.

Offline Huffy044

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 11:15:41 am »
One more.......I have the brake on the right and on the steering wheel. It is very handy on the steering wheel as I can load the brake just enough when I need it and the driveline clutch, gears, and belt all stay "Loaded" and I feel contribute to recovery speed. I can do this without ever letting off the gas.
VLMRA Singles Points Champion 2006
VLMRA Mini Champion 2007
VLMRA Sportsman Champion 2007
VLMRA Pro-X Champion 2008, 2009
ARMA Sportsman of the Year 2008
ARMA South East Region Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012
ARMA National Champion Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013
Maxton NC Model A Record Holder 118.54
VGMR 1932 Model A roadster world record 165.8

Offline ktownmadness

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2013, 07:57:32 pm »
One more.......I have the brake on the right and on the steering wheel. It is very handy on the steering wheel as I can load the brake just enough when I need it and the driveline clutch, gears, and belt all stay "Loaded" and I feel contribute to recovery speed. I can do this without ever letting off the gas.

Huffy i come from a racing atv background. I am also considering putting my brakes on my steering wheel. Do you have any pics of your set up?

Jerry Nelson
Knoxville, TN

Offline GRUBDIGGER

• Custom Gear Picker
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2013, 07:20:10 am »
TOMMYS BRAKE IS A HANDLE WITH A CABLE GOING DOWN TO A MASTER CYL. I COULD NEVER GET THAT TO WORK FOR ME. I USE THE MCP HANDLE BAR MASTER CYL. BMI HAS THEM. ILL NEVER GO BACK TO A FOOT BRAKE.
JOHN HERRING
ARMA TECH
TRI-STATE RACING MOWER ASSC.
http://wwwtsrm.smfforfree.com/

Offline Racer57

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2013, 10:07:44 pm »
Use a snowmobile brake set up, that's what I do, i mount the brake lever on the left side of the steering wheel and the throttle on the right, I wouldn't have it another way, and it works great
2013 NNYLMR Mod xr points champion

anything