Author Topic: mechanical compression release?  (Read 10673 times)

Offline IBuiltmine-o1oo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
mechanical compression release?
« on: January 04, 2006, 06:25:52 pm »
im looking at buying a brand new 20 hp, what is the mechanical compression release? Will this prevent me from putting in an aftermarket cam, or will i simply lose my compression release?
Thanks!
Oh come on man. You got no lady fingers, fuzz buttles, snicker bombs, church burners, finger blasters, gut busters, zippity do das, or crap flappers?
No, I don't.
You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Offline arcbilletrod

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 11:01:30 am »
Normally, the mechanical compression releases are on the cam.  They are generally some sort of spring loaded bumps close to the bottom of the base circle of the exhaust lobe of the cam.  This slightly opens the exhaust valve for an instant as the piston moves up on the compression cycle.  The amount of air/fuel to be compressed is reduced so the starter can more easily roll over the top of the compression stroke.  This builds momentum which stored in the flywheel over the remaining three cycles.  The cam's increased RPM during this rotation causes the spring to collapse, disengaging the compression release for the next compression cycle.  At that point, ignition should kick in and the engine starts.  That's the gist of it anyway.  Some points may vary from one engine to the next.

If you remove the mechanical compression release, it is necessary to manually roll your engine over the compression cycle and then hit the starter.  This gives the starter a running start at the next compression cycle and hopefully you build enough momentum to where it will make it to TDC and start the engine.

On a V-twin, this is probably a little different, but the principle is the same.
Since Both pistons ride on the same crank journal, you have to roll it past the second cylinder's compression cycle.
his is TC incognito

Offline IBuiltmine-o1oo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 11:17:48 am »
but can you put a high performance cam in it still?
Oh come on man. You got no lady fingers, fuzz buttles, snicker bombs, church burners, finger blasters, gut busters, zippity do das, or crap flappers?
No, I don't.
You're gonna stand there, owning a fireworks stand, and tell me you don't have no whistling bungholes, no spleen spliters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker donts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistling kitty chaser?

Offline arcbilletrod

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 11:25:02 am »
The High Per Cams usually have the compression release mechanism removed.  You can probably do it, but you will just have to manually roll the pistons past TDC of the compression cycle before hitting the starter.

If this is a Vanguard, I would recommend the Hi torque starter if you have machined your pistons and are running our long rods.  Compression will be too high for the stock starter there.
his is TC incognito

Offline IBuiltmine-o1oo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 12:06:11 pm »
ok, thanks! thats exactly what im looking to do!!
No, I don't.

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 03:58:58 pm »
Dead on TOM. You remove them because it will sling them apart at race rpm's which makes for a nasty end result. And yesa the High Torque Starter is highly recomended. The twin stock one will work but if its built to the hilt nopt very long!!!!
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline IBuiltmine-o1oo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 04:21:12 pm »
thanks George...if you guys havent already guessed, im kinda into the engine building portion of the mower more then anything else! thanks, guys!
No, I don't.

anything