Author Topic: (HELP) 5 HP Bog Update  (Read 2840 times)

Offline garretttpe

• View Profile
(HELP) 5 HP Bog Update
« on: September 14, 2013, 07:47:11 pm »

UPDATE:
I did a leak down test and found that air was coming out the carb when both valves were closed, I removed the intake valve and saw that it was groved, head looked good. I bought a new intake valve and spring and lapped it all including the exhaust valve, installed everything and pressure test was good. the engine started perfect but again would not go past 50-70 percent RPM under load. under load it idles down with no hesitation so that is fixed

Now I am leaning towards excessive vibration on the engine causing the float to choke off fuel. no load the engine revs up and down perfect. any other advise?? carb maybe needs re cleaned.

thanks
Larry

Hi All
I have a 10 yr old B&S 5hp horizontal shaft industrial engine on a old tamper that tamps dirt by vibrating a heavy steel plate.

The engine works perfect when the tamper belt is not on. starts with 1 pull, idles, revs up. high idle good. just runs perfect.
when I install the tamper belt and put the machine under load it will only rev upto what seems to be half throttle. no surging just half power. plus when I put the throttle back to idle it takes a few sec before it idles again.

here is what I have done.
1. removed muffler, no change
2. removed and completely cleaned carb, fuel tank open/close valve and lines( gravity fed type carb as fuel tank is above it)
3. removed gas cap, no change.
4. inspected lifter gap. .009=exhaust, .005 intake. I did this by removing valve cover as the head has not been removed. rechecked valves when engine was hot and gap was still good.
sprayed WD 40 all around head to check for leaks while engine was running and it does not appear to be leaking.

Anyone have any Ideas as to why this thing is bogging/half throttle only under load?
the rubber bushings that separate the engine from the heavy tamper plate are shot. could the excess vibration under load cause the carb float to bounce and choke of the gas under load?

any suggestions would be great. I posted this hear as you guys seem to know your stuff with these small engines and everything I have tried so far were stuff I found searching old posts on here.

Offline GRUBDIGGER

• Custom Gear Picker
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
Re: (HELP) 5 HP Bog Update
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 07:57:46 am »
I did a leak down test and found that air was coming out the carb when both valves were closed, I removed the intake valve and saw that it was groved, head looked good. I bought a new intake valve and spring and lapped it all including the exhaust valve, installed everything and pressure test was good. the engine started perfect but again would not go past 50-70 percent RPM under load. under load it idles down with no hesitation so that is fixed

Now I am leaning towards excessive vibration on the engine causing the float to choke off fuel. no load the engine revs up and down perfect. any other advise?? carb maybe needs re cleaned.

thanks
Larry

DID YOU NOTICE ANY AIR COMING INTO THE CRANKCASE?
JOHN HERRING
ARMA TECH
TRI-STATE RACING MOWER ASSC.
http://wwwtsrm.smfforfree.com/

Offline garretttpe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 09:01:11 am »
I am not sure what you mean by air coming into the crankcase.

Thanks Larry

Offline Huffy044

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 09:15:35 am »
Take the oil filler cap off the oil pan, put air into the cylinder, listen for air escaping through the oil fill hole, excessive air means the rings are bad. Find a good running non oil burning engine and do the same thing to it. This will give you a baseline to compare for the engine in question.
VLMRA Singles Points Champion 2006
VLMRA Mini Champion 2007
VLMRA Sportsman Champion 2007
VLMRA Pro-X Champion 2008, 2009
ARMA Sportsman of the Year 2008
ARMA South East Region Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012
ARMA National Champion Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013
Maxton NC Model A Record Holder 118.54
VGMR 1932 Model A roadster world record 165.8