Author Topic: mtd help  (Read 1923 times)

Offline EUBANK RACING

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
mtd help
« on: September 13, 2013, 06:00:07 pm »
 we run a youth stock class, this is a absolute stock mower with non operating deck, and only mod allowed is a hand or foot throttle, we actually will take blades off mom or dad's mower and belt off pulleys, let the kids race and sharpen the blades for you while they do this. I have put a couple mowers together for kids who otherwise would never get the chance to do anything like this. Any how right now I got your basic mtd varidrive 12/38 mower, that will never go into nuetral an roll freely, if you shut mower off you can shift from forward to reverse, the brake will stop mower but you can smell belt slipping, is this an adjustment problem or do I just need to swap out transaxle?
\"Micah\"

Offline Darkviper

• Turf Warrior
  • Sponsored by vegascarts
    • View Profile
Re: mtd help
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 06:31:46 pm »
The good old Vari drive. Racers worse night mare. I got feeling your trannys junk lol. Never use it for racing because it will ruin transaxle fast.
Jonathon Kaup
Sponsored by vegascarts

Offline berthyd

• Turf Warrior
  • Voted of the Island
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 07:05:21 pm »
Vari-drive chassis are a little different in the mounting area vs. an MTD with a transaxle. You might want to find a transaxle chassis.

Bert
Gary Busey and Rick James both used to live in my shop. Redline stole them.

Offline GRUBDIGGER

• Custom Gear Picker
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 09:18:08 pm »
we run a youth stock class, this is a absolute stock mower with non operating deck, and only mod allowed is a hand or foot throttle, we actually will take blades off mom or dad's mower and belt off pulleys, let the kids race and sharpen the blades for you while they do this. I have put a couple mowers together for kids who otherwise would never get the chance to do anything like this. Any how right now I got your basic mtd varidrive 12/38 mower, that will never go into nuetral an roll freely, if you shut mower off you can shift from forward to reverse, the brake will stop mower but you can smell belt slipping, is this an adjustment problem or do I just need to swap out transaxle?

IT COULD BE AN ADJUSTMENT OR THE WRONG BELTS. ONLY USE THE MTD BELTS.
JOHN HERRING
ARMA TECH
TRI-STATE RACING MOWER ASSC.
http://wwwtsrm.smfforfree.com/

anything