Author Topic: '94 15hp Briggs Vanguard won't stay running  (Read 2694 times)

Offline MowKartEnvy

• View Profile
'94 15hp Briggs Vanguard won't stay running
« on: July 24, 2013, 06:57:46 pm »
These engines are new to me. It's my first Vanguard. I picked it up last night in a 42" cut Ranch King for $50. Was told ignotion switch was bad along w a couple minor issues. I jumped the started but it wouldn't start even at full choke. A squirt of starting fluid gets it to start but it dies immediately. Steady fuel flowfrom the tank to the carb. Gravity fed so no fuel pump. No plugged filter. Choke and throttle move freely. It has a wire to the bottom of the carb which I'm guessing is an anti-backfire safety feature. Could that have something to do with the problem? Is this wire a necessity or can I unplug it and forget about it? If I take the needle(?) from the bottom of the bowl to clean it,what is the process for setting it properly when reinstalled?

I'm either going to do a utility/mud mower build with this mower or pull the engine for a mow-cart build. It seems to run decent,it just won't stay running. Thanks for the help. Am I on the right track,at least?

Offline foolnhismoney

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • MP Mowersports
Re: '94 15hp Briggs Vanguard won't stay running
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2013, 07:51:05 pm »
you need to have 12 volts to anti back fire valve. that's why jumping starter wont work. put a good battery in and try it.

Offline MowKartEnvy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 08:24:17 pm »
Ok. I will try that and report back....

Offline MowKartEnvy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 05:31:33 pm »
I was able to still jump the starter(no ignition switch) by running another smaller jump wire off the jumper cables to the backfire solenoid. Worked like a charm and runs awesome! Thanks again

anything