Author Topic: Jiang Dong compression release?  (Read 5897 times)

eddiehenjr

Jiang Dong compression release?
« on: January 25, 2007, 08:54:58 pm »
So on this stupid Chinese Jiang Dong motor of mine, there's some weights attached on the side of the cam gear, with a spring.  I think it may be a compression release, but the weights aren't connected to anything like a lever or anything.  They're just on there like centrifugal weights.  Am I comfused  :confused: or on the right track with this?  If it's a compression release, that explains why the motor doesn't have any compression starting... so bad you can't tell the strokes by turning it over.  A little help please?  Thanks -Ed

Offline mightymowe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Jiang Dong compression release?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 07:44:37 am »
if you look on the back of the gear they are probably connected to a little pin that bumps the exhaust valve to realease compression
David Peters

eddiehenjr

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 08:03:22 am »
Where is this pin?  It can't be in the camshaft because the valve lobes are solid and they have no holes in them.  Do you mean a pin like a lever not connected to the camshaft itself but coming from the crankcase or something?  I'm confused :confused:

eddiehenjr

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2007, 08:03:43 am »
Oh yeah and this motor is an exact copy of a Honda OHV

Offline mightymowe

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 07:14:04 pm »
one of the cam lobes,usually the exhaust,will have a little cut out in it and the weights will be connected to something that fits into the cutout.When the rpm's come up the weights will move out and pull this thing back and the lifter will follow the cam lobe.I cant remember exactly what it looks like because we took them out and they dissapeared a long time ago.
David Peters

eddiehenjr

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 12:48:49 pm »
Ok, yes it has a compression release.  I got the cam out and looked at it.  The reason I had no compression was that the valve lash on the intake was -.000, so it was holding open all the time, and the exhaust valve lash was .008.  Fixed them and got em set both at .003.  Now I can ACTUALLY feel the compresson when I tun it over!

anything