Author Topic: Intek 31 cube oil overflow  (Read 7884 times)

Offline Michaelgc7

• Turf Warrior
  • To finish first you must first finish ;)
    • View Profile
Intek 31 cube oil overflow
« on: July 10, 2013, 05:31:36 pm »
Any advice would help a lot here since i havent had this probleme yet  :doh: Basically i have a briggs 31 cube without any performance parts but built with old school tricks. So i have not had an intek that had oil overflow out of the breather but this one does a lot. I currently have a catch can connected to a tube that runs to the stock breather. The problem is that my catch can filled up to the point of spewing everywhere during a ten lap race. I was wondering first of all if this is normal since i know many of you do run catch cans, secondly what the best catch can setup would be, thirdly, whether or not i should remove the steel flap in the breather and lastly if i should run a return line back into the block or a ideal location. Thanks in advance  :)
Micheal Carrier

Owner of Carrierperformance.net , lawn mower racing superstore.

Offline Michaelgc7

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Intek 31 cube oil overflow
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 06:40:15 pm »
And while we're at it what is the exact cause of the oil overflow through the breather? is it because of the higher rpm's?
Micheal Carrier

Offline coon B14

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 09:37:55 pm »
If u add to much oil it will blow out till it finds where it wants to run normally 1 qt of oil
Bryan Coon

N.E.L.M.R.A  # B14

C/p 28ci OHV  ( MTD)

B/p 40 ci Intek ( John Deere L100)

Offline Mowerpar

• Turf Warrior
  • I'll show you how to stack a pile of rocks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 01:10:30 am »
could be a blown head gasket too

right in the pushrod area is the usual culprit spot

Offline leadslead

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 07:29:35 am »
Did u modify the oil hole in the block??? So oil can return to sump quicker ... I only run a qt when I had my singles also I made a aluminum plate for it with. A 90 deg elbow ... Put a hole on it with fuel filter so no dirt would get in ther
STEVE HENDERSON

Offline foolnhismoney

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • MP Mowersports
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 09:05:21 am »
If your oil level is right, your head gasket is not blown and you haven't monkeyed with the breather assembaly you should have no problem.  With that said the biggest reason to push that much oil out the breather is to much crank case pressure. That happens when you have more air being pushed out then being drawn into the crankcase. The most common thing is rings are plane worn out and when cylinder is in compression stroke the air pushing by the rings is creating a pressure in crank case instead of a vacume behind the piston. Then right after that on power stroke you are still in a pressuere mode. it has to be equal in and out of breather. On the intek singles the biggest problem can be a blown head gasket but I'm pretty sure you checked that when you did your oldschool tricks. First rule of thumb on small engines check head gaskets in my opinion.

Offline GRUBDIGGER

• Custom Gear Picker
  • Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 04:46:32 pm »
If your oil level is right, your head gasket is not blown and you haven't monkeyed with the breather assembaly you should have no problem.  With that said the biggest reason to push that much oil out the breather is to much crank case pressure. That happens when you have more air being pushed out then being drawn into the crankcase. The most common thing is rings are plane worn out and when cylinder is in compression stroke the air pushing by the rings is creating a pressure in crank case instead of a vacume behind the piston. Then right after that on power stroke you are still in a pressuere mode. it has to be equal in and out of breather. On the intek singles the biggest problem can be a blown head gasket but I'm pretty sure you checked that when you did your oldschool tricks. First rule of thumb on small engines check head gaskets in my opinion.

:+1: :twothumbsup: :twothumbsup: AND IF ITS NOT THE HEAD GASKET IT WILL BE THE RINGS.
JOHN HERRING
ARMA TECH
TRI-STATE RACING MOWER ASSC.
http://wwwtsrm.smfforfree.com/

Offline Michaelgc7

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 07:24:53 pm »
this engine was built new this spring and gapped properly, it does have more compression than stock... could that do it? is it serious? i put a catch can with a return to the engine but it does have the recommended amount of oil with is a liter and a half if i remember right..
Micheal Carrier

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 10:38:58 am »
HEAD GASKET
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline Huffy044

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2013, 11:43:36 am »
I had one do this, I moved the hose for the catch can to the top of the valve cover, welded a 1/8" nipple at the higest point, got it out of the oil mist as far as I could.
VLMRA Singles Points Champion 2006
VLMRA Mini Champion 2007
VLMRA Sportsman Champion 2007
VLMRA Pro-X Champion 2008, 2009
ARMA Sportsman of the Year 2008
ARMA South East Region Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012
ARMA National Champion Mini 2009, 2010, 2011,2012, 2013
Maxton NC Model A Record Holder 118.54
VGMR 1932 Model A roadster world record 165.8

Offline BIG AL 202

• Highly Mowtivated
  • LET'S GO FIND A NEW PLACE TO RACE MOWERS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2013, 05:51:44 pm »
IF YOU DON'T WANT TO TAKE IT APART YOU WILL NEED TO DO A LEAK DOWN TEST. DO A COMPRESSION TEST THEN PUT A SMALL AMOUNT OF OIL INTO THE CYLINDER AND SEE IF THE COMPRESSION GOES UP. IF IT GOES UP IT'S RINGS, IF IT DOESN'T EITHER VALVES OR HEAD GASKET.
ALWAYS VOTE FOR ED!   FONGS BROTHER FROM ANOTHER MOTHER!

Offline rotten ron

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2013, 10:09:42 pm »
Leaking valves won't cause crankcase pressure

Offline Michaelgc7

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2013, 10:25:45 pm »
thanks for all the help.. could it simply be too much oil with high rpms and the breather in line with the internal mist? Valves were gapped properly and rings also.. they are like new.. (when i built it this spring i have a race on it)
Micheal Carrier

Offline foolnhismoney

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • MP Mowersports
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 08:40:59 am »
I am going to go by your avitar and assume your a Briggs MST, I am as well. So i would believe your rebuild is solid. It has to be a simple thing you are over looking. Like a breather issue or something like that. Without any way to put our hands on it and look at it my opinion would be look at breather set up. Otherwise you need to do all the test they teach you in small engine repair to figure out the problem.  it shouldn't be to hard  to get a handle on this. Someone already suggested the compression and leak down test all part of basic small engine repair. Those two things will tell you almost everything you need to know. Or at least an area to recheck.

Offline Michaelgc7

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 09:26:39 pm »
Yes i am a master tech and i will do a leak down test, thanks for all the advice. If everything comes up positive then i wont worry about it since i put a catch can and a good oil return. It doesnt come out at the breather when i run it without racing, only after some ten intense laps, it might simply be too much oil for 6000rpm..
Micheal Carrier