Author Topic: Building a new clutch  (Read 4402 times)

Offline Negrey

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Building a new clutch
« on: July 08, 2013, 01:36:26 am »
Hey Guys,

So I'm building a new clutch for my mower, started with just a re-gearing and new belt but when I found my alignment was way out I decided to tear everything out and start from scratch. I want to build a two pulley clutch, I have Cast pulleys w/sheaves because that's all I have easy access too, about 8" on my engine and 4.25" or so on my trans. My belt is a couple inches bigger than what I calculated out for it, but my issue is, when I have no clutch at all, just my loose belt and pulleys it won't just sit there and slip, like it grabs on my transaxle pulley and will want to try take off if in gear. The belt is new, my trans pulley is new, engine pulley has been raced with before. Do I just need to break everything in and then it will work good? It's like I need a more slippery trans pulley. Or am I stressing myself out and it wont work until I have those pieces on the edge of my clutch plate that press against the belt when it's disengaged to keep it from moving? if that makes sense, just those little tabs.

Thanks!
Evan

Offline Bolens16

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Building a new clutch
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 07:34:57 am »
Your clutch won't disengage properly without those tabs that contact the belt. Fit them and I think your problem will be over.
If it has blades I'm not interested.

Offline Negrey

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 01:11:22 pm »
Thanks, I had hoped that would have been my problem. Is there a ballpark measurement for how much longer your belt needs to be to fit the clutch?
Evan

Offline trbinrat

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 02:44:14 pm »
Take a belt (longer than you need)  and cut it in half. Put it in the grove of large pulley on the motor and rap it around the out side of the smaller pulley and pull tight. Draw a line across the two belt ends where they over lap. Measure between the marks. This will be your length. Works every time.
Mark
#33 SP   Kawi power

http://www.mpmowersports.com/

If you run with the heard you will never see the edge of the cliff
Racing lawn mowers is not cheap just cheaper.

Offline NWR

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 12:11:59 am »
Are you SURE???
NWR    _-.   David Dodge  .-_
      _..-'(                          )'-.._
   ./'. '||\\.       (\__/)       .//||' .'\.
 ./'.|'.'||||\\|..   )* *(    ..|//||||'.'|.'\.
./'..|'.|| |||||\''''''  "  '''''''/||||| ||.'|..'\.

Offline Negrey

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 01:30:32 am »
I understand what you mean to measure for a belt size after you've built your clutch and have everything ready, but I don't have my clutch built yet, just wanted to see if the belt I'm using to build it will work out well.
Evan

Offline trbinrat

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 07:17:33 am »
Sorry not in half. Just make one cut. You don't thread the belt though the clutch for this measurement. When you wrap the belt around the out side of the smaller pulley you are adding just the right amount of length to the belt for the clutch engagement  

install the belt in the groove of the motor pulley like in the picture and wrap it on the outer most part of the tranny pulley. not like in the picture. The yellow lines represent the belt when you have it correct installed for measuring.

Mark
#33 SP   Kawi power

http://www.mpmowersports.com/

If you run with the heard you will never see the edge of the cliff
Racing lawn mowers is not cheap just cheaper.

Teamgofast

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2014, 11:00:30 am »
Sorry not in half. Just make one cut. You don't thread the belt though the clutch for this measurement. When you wrap the belt around the out side of the smaller pulley you are adding just the right amount of length to the belt for the clutch engagement  

install the belt in the groove of the motor pulley like in the picture and wrap it on the outer most part of the tranny pulley. not like in the picture. The yellow lines represent the belt when you have it correct installed for measuring.

Well said...