Author Topic: Hydraulic lifters  (Read 4363 times)

Offline Horsepower85

• View Profile
Hydraulic lifters
« on: June 27, 2013, 03:33:36 pm »
I'm fixing to take apart my twin to replace the lifters. 2 questions- I've been told that I don't have to remove head and also been told I do. So do I need to remove heads to get to lifters?  And when it's time to order new ones where do y'all recommend orderin them from and do I need to look into any specific ones?  Thanks

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Re: Hydraulic lifters
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 12:30:57 am »
You shouldn't need to pull the heads, just valve covers to pop the push rods out. Pull pan and camshaft, lifters fall into block and put new ones in the same way. Midwest super cub has solid lifters as well as rollers for whatever your plan of attack is. I would not put hydraulic stuff back in it especially if you plan to build any horsepower
Zach Burwell
#555 of Triple Nickel Racing

Wanna know a quick way to lose 8 pounds?!

Offline Horsepower85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 07:53:19 pm »
Cool thanks for the help. I know I shouldn't have but I ordered new hydraulic lifters. Just for the fact that I want to go cheap until I can atleast run this motor at a race or two to see how I like it. After that I guess it will be time to swap everything out. I'm being told that kohlers are hard to keep together. Is this true or just people's opinions? I'm willing to put what ever it takes in this motor to get it right but also don't want to waste my money if there's better options. Plans for it is to just run local tracks for now..... Banked oval tracks.

Offline Darkviper

• Turf Warrior
  • Sponsored by vegascarts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 01:00:12 am »
From what I seen Drews CP engine with small block single kohler did in finals in Ohio. Even kohler singles are as fast and not to mention kohler twins are to. It depends on engine. Kohlers I think are better engine to start with not to mention power they make. Only thing about making that power is the $$$$ money. Honestly that just people opinions.
Jonathon Kaup
Sponsored by vegascarts

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 02:34:06 am »
Dollar for dollar, I think a Kohler makes the best power honestly.  Their not much more expensive than a super exotic vanny. The thing about them, you dot need to get wild to make good reliable horsepower and torque to be competitive.  Hard to keep together? I haven't heard too much like that. But to always hear horror stories about stuff like that when it comes to engines. Biggest thing is making sure they are put together with correct clearances and such. Good oil to match and reliability isn't an issue unless you really want to get crazy exotic
Zach Burwell
#555 of Triple Nickel Racing

Wanna know a quick way to lose 8 pounds?!

Offline rotten ron

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 02:25:07 pm »
Ryan Kerr also won the race in Delaware Ohio and the American championship last year with a Kohler v twin [FXT] the lifters are the same as a small block Chev   The last race he raced at was Sam Rogers in Alabama,he won that too for the third time,he only raced in it three times