Author Topic: Twin questions  (Read 4059 times)

Offline Horsepower85

• View Profile
Twin questions
« on: June 25, 2013, 07:15:08 pm »
I have a rookie question. I have a 20hp kohler twin with port and polish work. Running dual barrel carb. It is some what hard to start when it's cold, starts right up with starting fluid. Once started it idles decent. But I notice that my left side cylinder seems a lot quieter out of exhaust and seems to be missing. Then when I give throttle both sides seem to run well but on decel both sides backfire and pop from exhaust. Iv pulled plugs and to me they read alittle rich but definitely not sooty black. I have tried adjusting the air/fuel screws on carb but other then changing idle it doesn't change anything else. I don't know if all of my symptoms are tied together but I don't know where to start looking to get it running right. 

Offline 2nstoys

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Twin questions
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 08:39:51 pm »
What flywheel are you running and what coils? Lots of variables on these Kohlers. Plug gap and coil gap is alot different between the companies that make the parts for these. Also what cam and lifters? Stock, roller, solid? All affects the way it will run and start. Mine starts hard cold also.
Glenn VanEpps
#14M
2013 USLMRA FXT 2nd place
2013 PSSLMRA FXT Champion
2012 US Open Points Champion FXT Open Twin
2012 MILMRA BP Points Champion
2012 MILMRA FXT Points Champion

Offline Horsepower85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 01:36:05 pm »
Well I ordered an ARC billet flywheel. Was running steel with aftermarket fan. Will be installing that today I hope. Coils are stock. Set at credit card thickness. As far as cam and lifters I don't know what's in it since I just bought this mower and don't know much about past history. I do believe I'm having lifter issues so will be pulling heads and checking/replacing.  The plugs are autolites set at .030 so after I get flywheel and lifters done i will update and go from there. Hope some of this helps. If I do replace coils what would you recommend on brand and where to get them? and as far as lifters what should I replace mine with?

Offline Burton for Certain

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 02:01:04 pm »
Talk to arc on what coils you need to run with their flywheel. And if you've git decent compression, good luck with the aluminum ring gear.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

Nichols Performance Inc. For the tractor pulling
"Bad Company" PS/SS
"Triple Play" Open Super Stock Diesel

Small Engines Of Seymour High Performance Camshafts (Greg Hackman) 8125225577

Offline Horsepower85

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 02:17:19 pm »
I will call them and ask bout coils. So am I going to have trouble with ring gear? If so is there anything I can do to avoid issues?

Offline Burton for Certain

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 04:23:50 pm »
Only if running tons of compression. From ur statement above ya should be fine.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

Nichols Performance Inc. For the tractor pulling
"Bad Company" PS/SS
"Triple Play" Open Super Stock Diesel

Small Engines Of Seymour High Performance Camshafts (Greg Hackman) 8125225577

Offline Horsepower85

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 07:45:59 pm »
Quick update.. Arc flywheel for kohler requires Briggs coils. Started pulling motor apart and found some issues that I'm sure was affecting its performance. Flywheel had no key and bolt was not very tight. Has turned quite a bit on shaft. The left side head wasn't tight due to the exhaust was hitting frame so I guess the previous owner didn't tighten for that reason. And in that the gasket was trashed. Well lesson learned. I should of tore it down as soon as I bought it. Would of saved a lot of head ache and worry. Ha