Author Topic: new here and need help with class requirements.  (Read 3826 times)

Offline bigbrother

• View Profile
new here and need help with class requirements.
« on: May 07, 2013, 12:39:39 pm »
Hi I am trying to get a racing mower together with/for my little brother who is 17 and need some help with some clarification on the classes. I have been reading the uslmra rule book and noticed that since this will be his rookie year he is not eligible to race bp, fx, fxs, fxt, or bp classes. So my question is what would be the classes that he is eligible to race and what would be the quickest class for him to participate in? Any help will be more than appreciated and hope to get to meeting the crew on this forum. Thanks.
Just to add I don't have a huge budget but do have good mechanical knowledge and have quite a few mowers to get started on with all the tools and welders and anything else I may need to attempt a build.

Offline evansop

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: new here and need help with class requirements.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 01:21:25 pm »
We recommend that you start in the slower classes and get the seat time.. Even though you have races other types on vehicials.. none of them handle like the mowers. Try IMOW or G/P. With those builds as you gain experience you have started the build to the faster classes. Mowers build to these rules can just be upgraded to S/P, C/P and B/P’s with easy trans., pullies, and motor upgrades.
Kerry Evans
USLMRA President
Evans Outdoor Power & Promotions
USLMRA Timing and Scoring
USLMRA Steering Committe Member
Dixie Outlaws Safety Director
Owner/Builder 2001 S/P National Champion
e-mail: evansop@bellsouth.net

LetsMow.com
facebook.com/USLMRA

Offline bigbrother

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 01:37:18 pm »
thanks evansop for the quick response I was leaning to the g/p class in the first place. I'm going to keep searching through the posts and see what I can pick up from them. If you have anything else to add or can point me in a direction for a good start on a g/p build or class it would be much appreciated.

Offline royalblu68f100

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • Cartwheels are a helluva ride if you can hold on!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 01:43:28 pm »
Where are you located?  We may be able to find someone close to you, then you could check it out in person.
You never win a race by focusing on one aspect of the race!  Motor isn't everything, but you better have a good one!  Chassis too!  But remember, a driver can take a slow machine and make it faster!  I may not have/be the best of any of these but I'm trying!
Chris Cox- CP/Mod X, AP
2016 ALL AMERICAN CP/Mod X Champion
2015 USLMRA AP Champion
2014 USLMRA AP Runner Up
2013 USLMRA AP Champion
2012 SRUSAAO ModX/CP Champion
2012 USLMRA CP Champion
2012 US Open AP Champion
2011 SRUSAAO MOD-X/CP Champion
2011 USLMRA FX Points Runner up
2011 GALMRA CP Points Champion

Offline bigbrother

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 01:46:12 pm »
I am from CT. I just looked on the nelmra website and they don't show a g/p class but have ap, cp, bp, and sp classes. Which one would either be considered g/p or close to it?

Offline royalblu68f100

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • Cartwheels are a helluva ride if you can hold on!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 02:36:45 pm »
S/P and G/P have the closest times and frames.  C/P and B/P would be a good bit faster.  A/P is a quick class due to the small chassis that are used in the class.
You never win a race by focusing on one aspect of the race!  Motor isn't everything, but you better have a good one!  Chassis too!  But remember, a driver can take a slow machine and make it faster!  I may not have/be the best of any of these but I'm trying!
Chris Cox- CP/Mod X, AP
2016 ALL AMERICAN CP/Mod X Champion
2015 USLMRA AP Champion
2014 USLMRA AP Runner Up
2013 USLMRA AP Champion
2012 SRUSAAO ModX/CP Champion
2012 USLMRA CP Champion
2012 US Open AP Champion
2011 SRUSAAO MOD-X/CP Champion
2011 USLMRA FX Points Runner up
2011 GALMRA CP Points Champion

Offline bigbrother

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 02:40:59 pm »
Okay thanks for helping me out on this topic ill check into some of the sp requirements and hopefully get started soon and something ready for race season. Also any help with getting a sp mower going in the right path is always appreciated and I am excited to learn more.

Offline Toadworks

• HEYMOW Welcome Wagon
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2013, 02:58:02 pm »
Build a 'prepared' chassis. IMOW, GP, SP, CP use basically the same rules for chassis designs. The big difference is the engines. IMOW and GP are going to be the least expensive due to the stock engine rules. Not much need for money for them. SP and CP engines will need some dough put into them to make horsepower. The really good news is that if you build the chassis to the rules, you can hang stock motor on it and run. Save up some bucks and eventually do an engine swap for a new class. Somewhere, in far corner of the deep dark vastness that is HEYMOW is an article written by ROOSTER about how ARMA and USLMRA have very similar class rules. You may search for GEORGE HERRIN's MTD build. (I think it is a 2007????)

Go meet the folks close to you on race day too. We love to show off our stuff, 'specially if it means we get another on the track.

Now, down in the wonderful state of Florida there is a little dirt oval that folks have been running around on for a long time. As a matter of fact it is one of the very first in the country that was strictly built for racing lawn mowers. At that track they have a growing class. GP. They had eleven show up last week! It is growing because it is the most bang for your buck in lawn mower racing. Talk to the fine folks at Florida Lawnracing Association, they'll tell ya all 'bout it.

50 something days left in Afghanistan...... look out Florida I'm comin' home!! 

Offline hotrod1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2013, 04:02:04 pm »
Welcome. My name is Tom, Im one of the VP for NELMRA. Come join are nelmra yahoo group, the email are starting to fly around for are 2013 season.
We will be posting are schedule real soon.
Were in CT are you? we have members all over the state.
I live up in Plainfield and you and your brother is welcome to see my machines.
I have a AP,SP and a JP.
Give me a call, 860-908-4122 I will help you get started.
Tom Johnson
President
NELMRA
tomjohnson@nelmra.com
65T, AP/SP TAS Racing
2009 NELMRA rookie of the year, 2010 SP-B Class Points Champion, 2010 SP-C 3rd Class Points, 2013 NELMRA AP/SP Champion.
2014 SP Champion, 2nd in AP. Champion in the Challange of Champion (this is a race of 1st place winners of ap,sp,cp and bp and put them together and race for points.)

anything