Author Topic: craftsman racing lawn mower build  (Read 17790 times)

Offline 2006lbzdmax

• View Profile
craftsman racing lawn mower build
« on: April 07, 2013, 08:48:15 pm »
Ok guys I'm in need of some help.I have a lt1000 craftsman riding mower I'm looking to turn into a racing mower.it has a 6 spd tranny with the shifter on the right side fender next to the seat.I've been looking around for answers on where to start and I have no idea where to start the build.

The biggest thing I'm trying to find out is what do I do with the front axle? Do I weld it in place or replace it with a custome axle and do I use the stock steering or do I need a setup I build my self.

.and I'm also wondering how do I lower the rear ive  noticed from most pictures most people leave the frame and body alone.and some how lower the tractor.I'm trying to use what I got so I'm trying to use the stock tranny the 6 spd tranny if I can.

One more question where would I buy parts like the different size pulleys I know most trannys have some funky shaft for the tranny.I havnt gotten any help from the local racers so I'm hoping I can find help here.I live in York pa  so there def s good bit of mower racing around me but asking for help to build one but I havnt been able to vet anwsers

Offline badger44

• View Profile
Re: craftsman racing lawn mower build
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 09:46:16 pm »
scrap the stock axle, You can buy one at several sites on here under the links. Get rid of stock steering and build a direct steer system. The rear axle will depend on what tire size you will be running. You can either use a jack shaft, or flip the transaxle upside down. However, it is much easier the do live axle and 700 tranny. Lost of mods to the inside of the transaxles to make them live. Most everything you need will be found in the builds section. Use the search  to help with it.
Chuck

Offline jackshaft

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 12:27:44 pm »
First off,check out the build section on the forum.Pictures are worth a thousand words and there are dozens of builds with hundreds of pictures with that style of mower.Now that you have an idea of what your getting into,check with your local club about build rules and the class you would like to race in.Then start your adventure...

Offline 2006lbzdmax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2013, 08:01:16 pm »
So basicly I wanna throw the stock front axle away and get myself a built one.I.saw a guy on the net has one with the spindles and the axle for abt 150$ I.think it was.as for the rear end how do.I lower that? I know with this being the first mower I'm building its gonna be a pain with alot of questions. I'm trying to get ahold of a few guys that race up around pa and md but I havnt had any luck yet

Offline crazycraftsman

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • owen
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 12:31:00 am »
150 sounds ok. do you have a welder???If you do build your own front axle. If its a veri-drive transaxle its no good.Look at all the build pictures and see if theres a mower like yours...
owen
Lawnmower Racing in B.C   Canada
WMWS points cup winner BP 2016
Wmws points cup winner CP 2017
Wmws points cup winner CP 2018

Offline shadetree57

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 10:57:19 am »
Just thought I'd reply to the steering question you had. We're running poulan chassis which are just like the craftsman. We're useing the stock steering but we also are useing a foot controlled throttle. Most people use a hand control so direct steer means they don't have to turn the wheel as much as we do but we like the way ours handle. There are two types of steering.  One type is crap and wears out really bad. The good one is built like the murray. If you have the other one, can it  and go a different route