Author Topic: New replacement OHV17 piston rings  (Read 8332 times)

Offline Honey Badger

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
New replacement OHV17 piston rings
« on: April 07, 2013, 07:44:38 am »
30580 is the Hastings part number for both standard compression rings.  That number is for each individual compression ring, so you will need 2 per piston. They do not make an oil control ring that will fit.  I have not checked around with other manufacturers of rings yet to see if another would have that, so if you guys figure out that PLEASE post here so we can have the complete set.  The 30580 is not exactly what the Tec ring is, but it fits the 1/16 land in the rings, and is manufactured exactly for that bore diameter.   I am sure there are oversized rings that Hastings makes for this bore, when I get those numbers I will post them here for the .010" and .020" bores.  Both rings MUST be installed with the BEVEL SIDE UP for this aftermarket ring application, regardless of what the service manual states for ring orientation. I have used these rings successfully in my engine with no issues as of yet. The only physical differences with these rings are the thickness from the piston towards the cylinder wall.  They are a smidge smaller, but that the same thickness in the lands for side clearance.
Call Hastings @ (269) 945-2941.  
Alex Stella
CP Indian powered #53
98 MTD Box Chassis live axle 700
2011 rookie of the year MILMRA   2012 most improved driver MILMRA   2nd in points national CP
It\'s not considered hoarding lawn tractors until more than one neighbor complains!

Offline wardee1977

• Turf Warrior
  • Check your head!!!
    • View Profile
Re: New replacement OHV17 piston rings
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 07:56:47 am »
Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated!
2009/2012 NNYLMR Driver of the Year
Low Rent Racing #77 SP #01 PS 2011 SP Track Champion  Treasurer for NNYLMR

Offline trbinrat

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Mark
#33 SP   Kawi power

http://www.mpmowersports.com/

If you run with the heard you will never see the edge of the cliff
Racing lawn mowers is not cheap just cheaper.

Offline Darkviper

• Turf Warrior
  • Sponsored by vegascarts
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 07:53:50 pm »
I did here that tecumseh got bought buy chinese company and they might make techumseh. My buddy told me and he talk to briggs. Briggs told him that this compnay in china might be making tecumseh not 100% sure they are yet.
Jonathon Kaup
Sponsored by vegascarts

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
Zach Burwell
#555 of Triple Nickel Racing

Wanna know a quick way to lose 8 pounds?!

Offline trbinrat

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 10:45:05 pm »

Me too

I have seen a few sets this price.  There just taking advantage that there are not many sets left out there.
Mark
#33 SP   Kawi power

http://www.mpmowersports.com/

If you run with the heard you will never see the edge of the cliff
Racing lawn mowers is not cheap just cheaper.

Offline Honey Badger

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 07:54:55 pm »
Alex Stella
CP Indian powered #53
2011 rookie of the year MILMRA   2012 most improved driver MILMRA   2nd in points national CP
It\'s not considered hoarding lawn tractors until more than one neighbor complains!

Offline Honey Badger

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2013, 10:15:07 pm »
Okay, did some more research and here is what I found: There are no .020" over rings, only ones that will work with .010". 
40487 is the part number for the rings.
These rings are 1/16" thick (proper thickness) and have a radial wall of .155". 
The stock rings I measured had a radial wall thickness of .145".  I was told that these replacement rings will require a piston with radial wall thickness of .165" or greater.  Luckily when I measured between the oil control lands (my caliper cant fit between the compression lands) I came up with .169" to .170"  so it looks like that will work there.  .010" over for our bore would put it out at 3.572". These rings are for a bore of 3.575, so they are about .002-.003 larger in diameter than the proper factory oversized ring.  I was assured these could be easily filed to fit as long as the radial wall specs would fall in line, which they do according to my measurements.  Here is the catch...  I cannot verify if the compression lands in the piston have the same radial wall thickness as the oil control as my measuring device would not fit into it. BUT, both compression rings and the oil control ring mic out at the same radial wall ring thickness, so I would assume that means all rings would have the same radial depth into the piston across the board.  If you know this information, please post about it so we can be sure. 

Part number 40487 for compression ring only. They are sold individually.  I am not sure about ring orientation, I will call back next business day and find out if it is the same as the stock bore replacement ones I posted about earlier.
Alex Stella
CP Indian powered #53