Author Topic: Vtwin has a noise and hesitates  (Read 4112 times)

Offline DWilliamS13

• View Profile
Vtwin has a noise and hesitates
« on: March 30, 2013, 03:44:34 am »
Hey guys. I have a 22.5 kohler vtwin I have a few questions with. I am familiar with the older kohler magnums not so much with the vtwins.

What I am in question about is a noise while running the governor seems messed and and possible carb issues. First off, I hear a noise from the valves like a tapping. It's a tap not a banging or rattling but just a tap? Is this normal with the vtwins? Second, the governor doesn't seem right. If you throttle up the motor it's revs up then lowers rpm significantly but will be above idle. Yet if you push on the gov rod directly it revs and hold revs just fine. Honestly kinda lost on that one. And thirdly, the carb. I tried just removing the pin in the fuel solenoid and when it ran and I throttle it up it fell on its face. I pull it back apart measure the pin to the hole and cut it down so even with the pin at highest point it still open. It runs better but still falls on its face during throttle up.

And help comments or suggestions would be great.

Offline Sherman Underwood

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Vtwin has a noise and hesitates
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 08:14:02 pm »
first off run only 10w30 in a kolher command period.... lifters pump up with air and cause a ticking noise maybe your problem may not........second clean the carb. Then we will work on the governor if need be... :D
Owner of Albemarle Power Equipment LLC & A.P.E. Motorsports

we are located @ 1472 Northside rd Elizabeth City NC 27909  stop on by..!!!!

I'm a Briggs & Kolher Master tech....mower mechanic for 18 plus years...!!!!

Thanks, Sherman @ 252-312-9615

Offline DWilliamS13

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 10:16:18 pm »
All I run is kohler oil. And it's fresh, I just changed it and new oil filter. The carb is crystal clean on the inside a lil dirty outside. A problem that just happened is when I mounted the gas tank on my rig it sits about 6 inches from bottom of tank to top of fan shroud. When I shut the motor down it pours gas out the carb unless I clamp one of the lines off. Carb issue or fuel pump issue? Would this be causing my hesitation? Where should I start now? Carb still?

Offline docbro

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 11:32:38 pm »
Sounds to me like a float problem, and yes could cause the hesitation, make sue needle valse is in good shapen and clean out jet
Kenny "Doc" Holder
2013 ULMRA FX Champion
2013 USLMRA 5th FXT
2012 USLMRA 3rd FX
2012 USLMRA 7th FXT
#606 GP, CP, BP, FX, FXT

Offline DWilliamS13

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 02:27:46 am »
Ok so took the carb off and checked it out. To me the float is bad but everything else looks ok. On a side note who rebuilds these carbs? I have a carb off a 25 hp vertical with accelerator pump that is pretty bad off and I would like to get it cleaned back up.
Back to the float it hangs really low and wobbles on the float pin pretty good like the hole for the pin in the float is wallered out on the ends. So looks like a new float and some new gaskets and we will see what we get.

And just for good measure pics always help.

Float hanging on my carb
http://m1296.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/dwilliams1387/1364796407_zps257aab69.jpg.html?o=4

Float on carb with accel pump
http://m1296.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/dwilliams1387/1364796528_zps0f0b7c64.jpg.html?o=3

Side by side ( mine on left, accel pump carb on right)
http://m1296.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/dwilliams1387/1364796591_zpsc1ea7067.jpg.html?o=2

Through shot choke side
http://m1296.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/dwilliams1387/1364796676_zps43f7aacf.jpg.html?o=1

Through shot throttle side
http://m1296.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/dwilliams1387/1364796764_zps1f24b104.jpg.html?o=0

Thanks again.

Offline docbro

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 06:24:27 am »
Before you go and get another bowl, check the tip of the needle valve that the float pushes against, check for burrs, wear, etc.
Kenny "Doc" Holder
2013 ULMRA FX Champion
2013 USLMRA 5th FXT
2012 USLMRA 3rd FX
2012 USLMRA 7th FXT
#606 GP, CP, BP, FX, FXT

Offline DWilliamS13

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 11:57:46 am »
The needle looks emaculate. Gonna try the new gasket and float and see where that gets me. Who rebuilds these style carbs and I good with them. I have a carb with the accel pump on it and it really needs gone through and cleaned up and ultimately I wanna run that carb. But I can make the carb I have now work for a lot cheaper than reworking and cleaning up the other one.

Offline DWilliamS13

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 06:08:41 pm »
Ok so here is an update. Sorry it took a lil while been a lil busy. I did another oil change with kohler oil again. I'd this for two reason. The motor I am working with had been sittin for a while so figure a couple a changes early on will help pull out anything gunked up in the motor. Second the carb I took off the float was bad and I think it was getting gas past the valves and or piston. So oils has been changed. I still have the tapping sound but its not as noticable. So my question there is how do I get the air out of the lifters? I have seen it on here before and of course can't find it now.
Secondly I put a different carb on that's in great shape from a running 25 hp I picked up dirt cheap ($75 dirt cheap and its complete and runs!) the hesitation is gone completely so I think the float issue in the other carb is what was causing the hesitation.
But after all this the governor still seems messed up. I can move the throttle up and it revs up then idles down some. After further inspection I noticed on the three 25 hp I have sitting here all seem clocked differently on the gov shaft than this motor. So I am gonna pull out the ole kohler manual and attempt to reset it. Has anyone had an issue like this before? Is this something that needs periodically checked? Or is my problem gonna be the previous owner didnt know what he was doin while attempting to get it running?
Any and all help would be appreciated.
And docbro thanks for the carb suggestion.
So I just checked out Vogel for solid lifter and was surprised at the price. To avoid having a lifter pumping up issue is it easier to just replace them with solid lifter and a set of non adjustable pushrods while I'm in there?