Author Topic: 7-8" rear rims  (Read 3120 times)

Offline crazycraftsman

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • owen
7-8" rear rims
« on: March 14, 2013, 05:45:47 pm »
Just ordered 1 1/4 axle kit, mcp break kit and a couple other parts. I can't use 16/7.5/8 tires because it will increase my ride height .I want to use 7-8" wide rims. I don't want to chance my 15/6.5/8 turf masters on 8 -8" rims. I'm wondering if BMi,s Douglas 7-8" rims have any bead lock on them like the ec ones.??????hold the tire on good? I run tubes but 5psi left-10-15 psi right.I'm new to all this cart stuff. I'm having a hard time finding them on Itp . I got the tires on factory 7-8 and the 15 seems to be the lowest I can drop the rear end.any help would be appreciated.
owen
Lawnmower Racing in B.C   Canada
WMWS points cup winner BP 2016
Wmws points cup winner CP 2017
Wmws points cup winner CP 2018

Offline Jim Knutson

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • i didnt break it......i modified it!
    • View Profile
Re: 7-8" rear rims
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 05:54:01 pm »
Owen, for 2 years i ran 15x6.50-8 turf master tires on 8x8 douglas atv rims, and had excellent results. you will have no problem keeping the bead on them, although you will need the local tire shop to seat them with a bead blaster tank. i still have them in my shop, and since last year, they have only lost around 5lbs of pressure ;)
If you quit when you're behind, you will never win.

Offline crazycraftsman

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • owen
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2013, 08:01:18 pm »
Are still using them jim????The ec 8-8 rims are 45,how much are these atv rims??Are they better or not as good??They must be super stretched.I could only find 1 post on 15/6.5/8 on 8-8 rims and they said the rim would dig in the dirt? true /false?Thanks i have till tommorrow if i want the ec rims so everything comes in 1 order.Thanks jim and anyone else with info.
owen

Offline Jim Knutson

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2013, 08:29:04 pm »
Owen, i am not using them now. they are black label douglas rims. here are some pics:

here is one side by side to a 13x6.50-6 on a 7.25" rim:

i never ran them so low on pressure that the rims dug into the track, but i ran them on my FXT, so it never "bicycled" up on two wheel either.

Offline crazycraftsman

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • owen
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2013, 09:00:25 pm »
So if I put 6" rims on the back of my cp mod-x, can I legally run in your club?

It is the farthest I am planning to race... I would like to race with your club as well as Port Hadlock and Wamic.

Thanks for your help Jim.thanks for the pictures. :)To bad they don't sell 15/6.5/6 turf masters,then put them on 7.25/6.
owen

Offline Jim Knutson

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2013, 10:34:00 pm »
So if I put 6" rims on the back of my cp mod-x, can I legally run in your club?

It is the farthest I am planning to race... I would like to race with your club as well as Port Hadlock and Wamic.

Thanks for your help Jim.thanks for the pictures. :)To bad they don't sell 15/6.5/6 turf masters,then put them on 7.25/6.
Owen, there are others in the club with the 6" rears from when there was an ARMA club localy, so yes, you could run with us with 6" rears :D i look forward to meeting, and racing with you.