Author Topic: Various Stock frame widths and wheel base  (Read 25177 times)

Offline Sherman Underwood

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Various Stock frame widths and wheel base
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2013, 01:34:10 pm »

thanks Rooster..... :twothumbsup:
Owner of Albemarle Power Equipment LLC & A.P.E. Motorsports

we are located @ 1472 Northside rd Elizabeth City NC 27909  stop on by..!!!!

I'm a Briggs & Kolher Master tech....mower mechanic for 18 plus years...!!!!

Thanks, Sherman @ 252-312-9615

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2013, 01:34:28 pm »
I hope more than just US looks at this. all clubs and groups and racers alike.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2013, 01:36:50 pm »
I hope more than just US looks at this. all clubs and groups and racers alike.

most are as we speak and I'm sure it will be brought up at our local club's rule meetings......

Offline Rich Webb

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2013, 01:43:21 pm »
Well said Rooster!! We are looking into it as we speak,we will have something in writing begining of the week.
2007 USLMRA SP Champion
2009 & 2010 USLMRA Driver of the Year
USLMRA Staff

Offline Unkl Ian

• Bad influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2013, 04:46:32 pm »
• CHASSIS: ENGINE MUST BE IN THE FRONT. Frames and parts may start as a lawn mower chassis and should retain the original look (IE Rail dimensions 1x2 etc.). Material (steel round or square) may be added for structural strength. 
Factory frame rails may be replaced.
Frame rails must be 1x2 or 1x3 rectangular tubing
no round tubing for main frame.

How do those dimensions compare to the boxed stock rails some guys are running ?
Gravity is not your friend.

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2013, 05:31:58 pm »
compare how. (98% of the frame rails out there are 1 x2 or 1x3. Of the 4 frames I measured they were within an inch of 51 to 2 inches. The most popular that I have seen used is the Murray rails they are 51 inches long. wheel base was 47" but i like most have moved that mine is 47-3/4 i know some that has moved the axle all the way to the rear. Not mentioning names as this seems to be a touchy subject. BUT i can tell you what we here locally have done. The box demensions above are what we have added to our rule book as a max demension. These are only in our rules and not not the National sanctioning body rules.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline 2nstoys

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2013, 12:57:12 pm »
I am glad that this is getting attention. I have alot of time and research into my FXT and FXS in order for them to work with the frame rails I chose. A third bearing did not add much money or time in fabricating. But in my mind I know that mine are legal. So I guess if the rules change to take the width on stock rails out of the equation, then I agree with George that we should be able to fabricate our own frames. The problem I see with that is then they turn into gokarts and that is not what the majority of us want.

2012 rules
FXS and FXT basic rules:
2. CHASSIS: Frames, parts, must retain original manufacturers (OEM) specifications (no
chopping) re: wheel base, length and width unless modifications specified in particular class.
Material (steel) may be added for structural strength. It is recommended that front axles be
bolted or welded rigid eliminating the stock pivoting. No rear engine lawnmowers must be front
engine traditional style lawn tractor with a hood covering the engine and rear fenders. No
handlebars, to prevent a racer from being pierced in the event of a roll over. All tractors must
have a 2" min ground clearance. All tractors must have been a factory built lawn cutting tractors.

FXS
10. FRAME: 2" minimum ride height. Firewall protection recommended. Discreet chopping
of chassis to install after market clutches, gear box, seats and axles allowed, must retain
original OEM wheel base.

FXT
8. FRAME: 2” maximum ride height. IT is recommended that engines are separated by a
safety shield or stock cowling from the driver. Discreet chassis modifications allowed for axle
installation and reinforcement. Scalloping of frame allowed in getting seat down on tunnel type
chassis.

2013 rules
FXS and FXT basic rules:
2. CHASSIS: Frames, parts, must retain original manufacturers (OEM) specifications (no chopping) re:
wheel base, length and width unless modifications specified in particular class.
Material (steel) may be
added for structural strength. It is recommended that front axles be bolted or welded rigid eliminating
the stock pivoting. No rear engine lawnmowers must be front engine traditional style lawn tractor with a
hood covering the engine and rear fenders. No handlebars, to prevent a racer from being pierced in the
event of a roll over. All tractors must have been a factory built lawn cutting tractors.

FXS
10. FRAME: Firewall protection recommended. Discreet chopping of chassis to install after market
clutches, gear box, seats and axles allowed, must retain original OEM wheel base.

FXT
8. FRAME: IT is recommended that engines are separated by a safety shield or stock cowling from the
driver. Discreet chassis modifications allowed for axle installation and reinforcement. Scalloping of
frame allowed in getting seat down on tunnel type chassis.

The only thing that I see that has changed from last year is the ride height. It seems pretty black and white on what is legal to do to the width and length.
Glenn VanEpps
#14M
2013 USLMRA FXT 2nd place
2013 PSSLMRA FXT Champion
2012 US Open Points Champion FXT Open Twin
2012 MILMRA BP Points Champion
2012 MILMRA FXT Points Champion

Offline Burton for Certain

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2013, 01:06:08 pm »
Very rarely is anything ever black and white. Even less in racing.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

Nichols Performance Inc. For the tractor pulling
"Bad Company" PS/SS
"Triple Play" Open Super Stock Diesel

Small Engines Of Seymour High Performance Camshafts (Greg Hackman) 8125225577

Offline Burwell555

• Hot Rod Hitman
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2013, 01:32:25 pm »
To myself it's still not black and white, while I have no fxs who knows what the future holds but the "general rules" of the two classes calls out that you must maintain width, the fxs and fxt sections themselves only refer to maintaining a stock wheelbase. Then it goes on to say you can discretely modify the frame to fit in a clutch, gear box or seat. So I guess depending on the section you read, you can see it differently. But all in all no sense whinin and cryin and bickerin back and forth as rich has already said its being addressed and will be in writing next week
Zach Burwell
#555 of Triple Nickel Racing

Wanna know a quick way to lose 8 pounds?!

Offline 2nstoys

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2013, 01:49:48 pm »
Your right Zack. Might as well lock this thread and remove it. Doesn't do any good to talk about rules. But on the other hand, would this new ruling have been made if someone didn't bring up the question?
Glenn VanEpps
#14M
2013 USLMRA FXT 2nd place
2013 PSSLMRA FXT Champion
2012 US Open Points Champion FXT Open Twin
2012 MILMRA BP Points Champion
2012 MILMRA FXT Points Champion

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2013, 03:14:05 pm »
Your right Zack. Might as well lock this thread and remove it. Doesn't do any good to talk about rules. But on the other hand, would this new ruling have been made if someone didn't bring up the question?

Glenn, it's my understanding it was already being addressed before you posted this.....

Quote....The problem I see with that is then they turn into go karts and that is not what the majority of us want....Quote

If this is the one thing that is keeping them like mowers instead of GO KARTS something is wrong, not to mention they are mostly concealed from view.  What about the engines, sheet metal,  hoods and fenders & so on that makes it a mower.  (Isn't it most important (to look as close to possible as still a mower).

Offline TomL

• Mr. Modest
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2013, 02:46:40 pm »
In PA we run what we call Ltd Mod. Its kinda like a ModXR in Super Mod style. George has seen them. I built the frames out of 3x2x14ga rectangular tubing. We run a stock vtwin and a 700 tranny. I built them a little heavy for longevity. The white hood one weighs 496lbs with me in the seat, so probably around 350-360lbs by its self. They look just like a super mod. The frame is 12" outside to outside. I am using pillow block bearings for the rear axle. Inside the left rail is a piece of 2x2x1/4" angle for the bearing to bolt to. On the right there is an extra piece of the 3x2 tubing on the outside with the angle on the outside of it for the bearing.
This gets the axle more centered in the bearings.
If I remember correctly the wheelbase is 46" and they handle great.
I ran these mower hard last summer to see what would fail. Only failures were broken chains and a bad tranny (it was probably bad to begin with).
In one race I hit a pothole with the right rear tire. It went down then up and knocked the wind out of me even with my chest protector (which I ALWAYS WEAR).
No axle/bearing problems what so ever.

As far as building with mower frames I am doing a true super mod for me with a JD 111 frame. BUT I don't really see the issue just using tubing. You really are just taking a mower frame and making it structural tubing anyway.

Tom
Tom Lavalette
Ask me about the PA MiniPro Racing Mowers
toms580@yahoo.com
Columbia, PA

Offline Unkl Ian

• Bad influence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2013, 06:18:57 pm »
Why should frame width be limited just because of the brand of frame you are using?

Or wheelbase.  I just turned down a nice machine,
because the wheelbase is too short for my long legs.

If there were common specs, for fabricated chassis,
(length width, height, no round tube for main rails),
the appearance of the machines wouldn't change.
And the cost wouldn't go up.

Offline Unkl Ian

• Bad influence.
    • View Profile

Offline TomL

• Mr. Modest
  • Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2013, 01:51:16 pm »
So is the maximum width allowed 15".

Tom

From the Desk of Manny & Kerry,

From our understanding there have been numerous comments about the width of the chassis on the FXS & FXT class mowers. However after discussing this several upper class racers we all agree that the width does not give an advantage in any way to the driver, it only eliminates the need of adding a third bearing to the jackshaft. So having a frame with of up to 15” in width wouldn’t be a problem. We have removed the word “and width” from this section to cover this and will now read as below. The Rule Book Date has not changes as we feel this is a minor correction.

2. CHASSIS: Frames, parts, must retain original manufacturers (OEM) specifications (no chopping) re: wheel base length unless modifications specified in particular class.  Material (steel) may be added for structural strength.  It is recommended that front axles be bolted or welded rigid eliminating the stock pivoting.  No rear engine lawnmowers must be front engine traditional style lawn tractor with a hood covering the engine and rear fenders.  No handlebars, to prevent a racer from being pierced in the event of a roll over. All tractors must have been a factory built lawn cutting tractors.

http://www.letsmow.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/2013-USLMRA-Rule-Book-PDF.pdf 
Tom Lavalette
Ask me about the PA MiniPro Racing Mowers
toms580@yahoo.com
Columbia, PA