Author Topic: Various Stock frame widths and wheel base  (Read 25178 times)

Offline 2nstoys

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
Various Stock frame widths and wheel base
« on: January 24, 2013, 09:04:35 pm »
Alot of talk about frame rails and wheelbases for the new FXS andFXT classes. Thought I would start a thread to keep everyone on the right path. I will start with the 2 I have and add as I collect info. Please add if you have others.

John Deere newer L and D series. Width 13 inches and wheel base I have is between 47" and 48" depending on model.

Toro HXL and XL series. Width 12 inches and wheel base of 46" to 47" depending on model.
Glenn VanEpps
#14M
2013 USLMRA FXT 2nd place
2013 PSSLMRA FXT Champion
2012 US Open Points Champion FXT Open Twin
2012 MILMRA BP Points Champion
2012 MILMRA FXT Points Champion

Offline Unkl Ian

• Bad influence.
    • View Profile
Re: Various Stock frame widths and wheel base
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 09:09:38 pm »
Great idea. :thumbsup:

Maybe also include the frame type: Pan, Tunnel, etc.

Some WB and other dimensions are available here:
http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/index.html
Gravity is not your friend.

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 10:09:13 pm »
If the width is enforced on rail chassis then 75 percent or more are illegal. Many have widened them to get away from the the bearing.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline Sherman Underwood

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 11:00:32 pm »
If the width is enforced on rail chassis then 75 percent or more are illegal. Many have widened them to get away from the the bearing.

I agree with you on this one......most will be, it's is the only way not to run a 3rd bearing keep costs down, and have more fab work...!!!!!
Mower count is already low we don't need to run off those people with machines built already, I say limit 15 wide and be done with it....
Owner of Albemarle Power Equipment LLC & A.P.E. Motorsports

we are located @ 1472 Northside rd Elizabeth City NC 27909  stop on by..!!!!

I'm a Briggs & Kolher Master tech....mower mechanic for 18 plus years...!!!!

Thanks, Sherman @ 252-312-9615

Offline BoNewCo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • BoNewCo MotorSports
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 11:32:29 pm »
I agree with you on this one......most will be, it's is the only way not to run a 3rd bearing keep costs down, and have more fab work...!!!!!
Mower count is already low we don't need to run off those people with machines built already, I say limit 15 wide and be done with it....
I agree. Why should frame width be limited just because of the brand of frame you are using? Murray wide bodies are only about 11" & are good frames to work with except for that. Why not just have a maximum frame width more like the old FX rules? I hate having to waste frame rails just to cover up 1 x 2 tubing. They still look like mowers that way unlike the ones that have lengthened the wheelbase with the front axle out in front of the body.
Sac Valley Mower Racers on Facebook
www.bonewco.com

Offline Jim Knutson

• Mow-Forum Junkie
  • i didnt break it......i modified it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 11:33:07 pm »
so does this mean that if 75% of us ignore a rule, we can get away with it? this is a bit concerning.... :noplease: :bash:
If you quit when you're behind, you will never win.

Offline birdman_express

• I'm not fast...but man I can eat! INTEKS RULE THE PITS!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Highly Mowtivated
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 11:44:44 pm »
The wider you make the frame, the smaller tire you can run.
I don't have a dog in the fight, so I don't really have a complaint.
just sayin'.
Marc Baker

ARC Dealer

Marc from ARC.... "Billet Billet"

Powered by a Full Bug E.C. 20HP Vanguard!!!!

Offline Jim Knutson

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 11:52:15 pm »
my only comment besides my last post is this: beware to those of us that read, AND follow the rules....there seems to be an unfair advantage to the ones that don't care what the rules say. i have seen this come up with many different subjects concerning the rules....i guess i should just build stuff the way i want to, just to "save money", or whatever the excuse i choose be. :(

Offline George Herrin

• aka SUPERMAN
  • Superman
  • Highly Mowtivated
  • I am going to Race Every Race like its my last one
    • View Profile
    • BTMRA Home/Forum An Independant Club.
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 12:11:20 am »
Its not a matter of ignoring or not caring. You must realize some of us were building these before the rules were made. Some interpret the rules a differently. These classes should allow more diversity in building. set a max width, taking a square channel frame and simply widening it from its original width by a mere 2-3 inches is far cheaper and easier than building a third frame rail and using 3 bearings on an axle. I mean jeeze they dont look like they used to anyways. these two classes are the elite the PRO SERIES so to speak. let us build it give a base line measurement and be done with it. For that matter why not allow a squre tube frame 1x2 for example. It would be easier and more cost effective than trying to make a flimsey wore out mower chassis hold up to the fastest class out there. Just my two cents. I aint gonna lie to ya. I been 15" wide from day 1 way back been racing them from the beginning. tech has never said anything. For that matter mine look more like a mower than many. I use real mower decks to boot. it dont matter to me they are built and i am not gonna change them even if it means stay home and play in my own back yard. I truly dont see where its a big deal. The only advantage is it leaves me more money and time to use elsewhere.
Exactly benewco we can scracth build a fx frame but we are restricted on these. And also the same size wheel and tore on the same axle WHY FX can run stagger yet the pro series to top teer classes cannot!!! OK I am done!!! AND BTW if you look hard enough you will see there are a few scratch built frames already running. they aint no faster than anyone else either.
George Herrin #6
Indian Power.. You gotta Go big to beat em or Go HOME
8 time ARMA National Champion
4 time USLMRA National Champion
Retired from BP
www.herrinmowersports.yolasite.com
www.allamericanmowerchampionships.yolasite.com
My other racer is a 1/5th scale Dirt Late Model!!!!

Offline BoNewCo

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
    • BoNewCo MotorSports
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 12:23:10 am »
Since we can use square or rectangular tubing inside the stock frame rails, why not just leave the stock frame rails off & build the frame out of square or rectangular tubing? They still look the same from the outside. I'm just talking about FX here.
Sac Valley Mower Racers on Facebook
www.bonewco.com

Offline TeamScoot

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 12:40:41 am »
I couldn't agree with ya more George on pretty much every point. It a nightmare trying to find a frame that is usable for these classes, and once you do find one, it takes a ridiculous amount of time and money to get that frame to a state that is raceable. Just like Bob said, pretty much every FXT or supermod out there is built on a custom frame and disguised as mower frame and like you said, there is no real competitive advantage to it.  I get the whole sticking to the roots of the sport by staying with a mower frame, but honestly by the time the they are finished, the "stock" frame has nothing to do with them resembling a mower because you cant see the frame.

I have also always wondered why the original F/X class was allowed a custom frame but the new "top tier" classes arent
Founder of MoKart Industries
Inter Mountain Innovations
67 huffy
MHLMR

Offline 2nstoys

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 08:41:24 am »
This is what I was getting at. I have all of mine built to the rules and I see others that are not. Other new ones being built to wider then stock. I just want a level playing field. If it says it in the rules, then it should be followed.
Glenn VanEpps
#14M
2013 USLMRA FXT 2nd place
2013 PSSLMRA FXT Champion
2012 US Open Points Champion FXT Open Twin
2012 MILMRA BP Points Champion
2012 MILMRA FXT Points Champion

Offline Jim Knutson

• Mow-Forum Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 09:25:04 am »
This is what I was getting at. I have all of mine built to the rules and I see others that are not. Other new ones being built to wider then stock. I just want a level playing field. If it says it in the rules, then it should be followed.
my sentiments exactly Glenn....thank you.

Offline Burton for Certain

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 09:29:45 am »
It also says you can modify the frame to fit seat, ragb, bearings, etc. So what about the guy who widened the frame to fit the seat low and not have the third bearing?. Follows the rules as worded.
Drew Burton #19 FXS/FXT
Midwest Super Cub Racing

Nichols Performance Inc. For the tractor pulling
"Bad Company" PS/SS
"Triple Play" Open Super Stock Diesel

Small Engines Of Seymour High Performance Camshafts (Greg Hackman) 8125225577

Offline Eatondirt

• Turf Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2013, 10:14:29 am »
I would also agree with George these are designed to push all boundaries of what mowers can do.  The excitement at events with these machines make that very evident.  The intent is still be racing mowers not spec. karts with a rule for every nut and bolt.  Mower racing has always been about the innovative engineering of mower parts and staying in our small rule book.  If you can make it your self and do it your way thats what makes our sport fun.   The only time rules should come into play is when some one finds a distinct advantage.  Lets face it the wide tires that it takes to get these machines to hook up ultimately set a max frame width.  Which you will find that the seat takes a lot of room out of the rear axle.
Casey Eaton
Big Dog Mower Racing

anything